Thread: Nmake crashes with error U1077

Default Nmake crashes with error U1077

Aargh.

After many many hours and energy drinks later I still can't get Qt 4.5.1 to build succesfully. I'm trying to build it on windows using Visual Studio 2008. I have installed DirectX and PlatformSdk.

I get the following error:

Qt Code:
    1. link /LIBPATH:"c:\Qt\4.5.1\lib" /LIBPATH:"c:\Qt\4.5.1\lib" /NOLOGO /INCR
    2. EMENTAL:NO /LTCG /DLL /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"tmp\obj\release_shared\qjpeg.inte
    3. rmediate.manifest" /VERSION:4.51 /OUT:..\..\..\..\plugins\imageformats\qjpeg4.dl
    4. l @C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\nm7BA9.tmp
    5. LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\..\..\plugins\imageformats\q
    6. jpeg4.dll'
    7. NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN
    8. \link.EXE"' : return code '0x450'
    9. Stop.
    10. NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN
    11. \nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
    12. Stop.
    13. NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cd' : return code '0x2'
    14. Stop.
    15. NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cd' : return code '0x2'
    16. Stop.
    17. NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cd' : return code '0x2'
    18. Stop.
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Used configuration line:
    Qt Code:
    1. configure -no-sql-sqlite -no-qt3support -platform win32-msvc2008 -no-libtiff -no-dbus -no-phonon -no-phonon-backend -no-webkit
    3. Also run before config:
    4. c:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (March 2009)\Utilities\bin\dx_setenv.cmd
    5. c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Any ideas how to fix this?

I also noticed that even bundled demos+tools won't run anymore. For example designer gives error "the beginning of the procedure ?allocateNode@QHashData@@QAEPAXXZ wasn't found from QtCore4.dll" (freely translated from Finnish). It did run perfectly well before. Apparently unsuccesfull compilation breaks everything...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Default Re: Nmake crashes with error U1077

Quote Originally Posted by screeck View Post
    LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\..\..\plugins\imageformats\qjpeg4.dll'
    Looks like the file might be in use so it cannot be overwritten.

I also noticed that even bundled demos+tools won't run anymore. For example designer gives error "the beginning of the procedure ?allocateNode@QHashData@@QAEPAXXZ wasn't found from QtCore4.dll" (freely translated from Finnish). It did run perfectly well before. Apparently unsuccesfull compilation breaks everything...
    You have an older version of Qt in PATH. Use Dependency Walker to see where it attempts to load the libraries from. A Qt application compiled with Qt 4.4 can be run against Qt 4.5, but not vice versa.
    J-P Nurmi

Quote Originally Posted by jpn View Post
    Looks like the file might be in use so it cannot be overwritten.
    Yep, that was the problem and I even figured it out on my own after a well-slept night

You have an older version of Qt in PATH. Use Dependency Walker to see where it attempts to load the libraries from. A Qt application compiled with Qt 4.4 can be run against Qt 4.5, but not vice versa.
    Now it gets interesting. I have no previous Qt installed on my comp. Dependency walker says that I am missing 'IESHIMS.dll", even though by fast googling I found that is should be installed on every computer. Qt paths seem correct.

I made a copy of original install of Qt, and for example Designer run from there works like a charm. But when I try to run it from folder which was compiled using MSVC, I get the previously mentioned error.

God I miss Linux as a development platform.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Did you hit F9 to see full paths of loaded DLLs? Where does it load QtCore4.dll from? It could have been some application that installed Qt DLLs to the system directories or is listed in PATH before your compiled Qt.
    J-P Nurmi

Yep, I did. The libs come from "E:\oma\libs\Qt-4.5.1\bin", and ""E:\oma\libs\Qt-4.5.1\" is the Qt directory. Weirdest thing is that Designer run from "E:\oma\libs\Qt-4.5.1-mingw\" works and it is using Qt-DLLS from "E:\oma\libs\Qt-4.5.1\bin", but when I run Designer from that dir, I get an error.

None of the demos/examples work when run from "E:\oma\libs\Qt-4.5.1\...", but they work fine when run from "E:\oma\libs\Qt-4.5.1-mingw\...".

EDIT: Btw, that IESHIMS.DLL seems to be a problem with any file I open. I'm not sure if it affects DW in any way. So it's not QT-spesific.

EDIT2: I got demos working by changing the directory in PATH to " "E:\oma\libs\Qt-4.5.1\lib". Now I can run demos, but not the programs in directory bin. Bin has it's own versions of DLL's, were these compiled by MingW? Because I think this erros is because DLL's were compiled using different compilers. Demos that I ran were compiled by MSVC, and since I changed PATH point to lib\ where MSVC compiled libraries are, they work. Now I get the same error as before when I try to run MingW compiled demos, so I think libraries mitchmatch.

EDIT3: I removed all the DLL's from the bin directory, and everything seems to work now. DLL's are read from lib\, which has all the newest versions of DLL's compiled by MSVC. Is this normal behaviour or should I submit this as a bug?
    Last edited by screeck; 14th June 2009 at 14:04.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

thx alot for solution!!! I wouldn't solve it tonight by myself as well!!

BTW it will happend when u r nmaking and Qt Assistatnt is running. So close all Qt applications before nmake!