I'm building a Qt client for the open-source client/server 4X strategy game Thousand Parsec. I'm however stuck at a dead end. Basically, the client interfaces with the server via a C++ protocol layer that facilitates client/server communication. The protocol's documentation is available here.

Now my problem is that the protocol requires you to create a subclass of the virtual EventLoop class (link) in your client. There is an example SimpleEventLoop used for console clients on the same link. I'm having difficulty figuring out how I can design my own event loop subclass that handles the protocol's events while hooking into the Qt application at the same time. My research has lead me to believe QAbstractEventDispatcher is the Qt class I want to use but the documentation seems pretty slim and I'm not exactly sure how I would go about doing this.

Does anyone else have experience linking external event loops with a Qt application? I've also found this example on the Qt page but it wasn't very helpful - or at least I didn't really understand it.

Thanks!