Thread: Hitting memory limits for malloc() at about 1.7GB?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Hitting memory limits for malloc() at about 1.7GB?

I have Vista 64 Ultimate and installed the latest Qt SDK, 2009.03. I seem to be hitting memory limits when using malloc() even though I have 8GB of physical RAM, and task manager shows only 2GB of it is used. My program crashes when I try to allocate large amounts of memory.

The exact limit seems to vary, but it seems to be about 1.74GB. The following code causes my program to crash:
    Qt Code:
    1. #include <iostream>
    2. #include <qglobal.h>
    4. using namespace std;
    6. int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
    7. double* test = (double*) malloc(1863000000);
    8. cout<<"Test"<<endl;
    9. test[0] = 1.0;
    10. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    With a slightly smaller number the program executes properly. I don't think Vista Ultimate has a memory limit for processes. Is the latest Qt compiler 64-bit?

How can I utilize my RAM to its fullest extent using malloc() and Qt?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Hitting memory limits for malloc() at about 1.7GB?

Qt has nothing to do with malloc(). The latter is a C function which is implemented in the C runtime and calls the system routine deep inside the kernel of the operating system. It must be your kernel that is preventing the allocation and I'd say you simply have a limit on a continuous chunk that can be allocated. What happens if you try to allocate that memory is two chunks half that size each?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I tried allocating 4 chunks of 500MB each. The program crashes when trying to write values to the 4th chunk. Then I tried 8x250MB and it crashed on the 7th block. At 25x80MB it crashed trying to write to the 25th. I also tried 100x40MB but it crashes writing to the 51st.

So breaking into smaller blocks seems to help, but only slightly, and I keep hitting a limit right around 2GB.

The program I'm trying to make has to read a couple of 800MB files into memory, then create some arrays/matrices for numerical analysis. It actually worked on a Linux system but crashes on Windows while trying to allocate one of the arrays. And the entire reason I moved to my home system was because it was 64bit with 8GB RAM I was running out of RAM on the Linux system.

Are there maybe any other reasons this could be happening, and things I can do to get around it?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I don't know how it is in 64 bit Vista but in 32 bit version there is a limit set on the maximum amount of memory a process can allocate. There is a system command to override it but I don't remember it right now. I suggest browsing Vista programming forums for solutions. Do one more thing - what happens if you use the new operator instead of malloc()?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

hmm I tried something loike this:
    Qt Code:
    1. #include <iostream>
    3. int main()
    4. {
    5. int *array = new int[600000000];
    6. std::cout << "Test 1: sizeof(int) = " << sizeof(int) << std::endl;
    7. array[0] = 5;
    8. std::cout << "Test 2: array[0] = " << array[0] << std::endl;
    9. system("pause");
    10. delete[] array;
    11. return 0;
    12. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

and it is working fine on Vista Business 64. sizeof(int) is 4 so 4*600000000 is about 2.4GB - didn't try more, because I have 2GB of RAM in my notebook.
    But my program was compiled with Visual Studio compiler with target machine x64 (so it is 64-bit executable - not working on 32-bit windows).

And make it clear:
    Is the latest Qt compiler 64-bit?
    Qt it is a bunch of C++ classes so there is no Qt C++ compiler (just some tools making use of Qt easier) so if there are some limitations of a compiler - it is only depend on your compiler. If you have downloaded Qt SDK then I suppose that you have MinGW - I don't know this one, but I think it is not generating 64-bit code (by default).

P.S. I tried also you code from first post and it is working good even for 2000000000.
    I would like to be a "Guru"

Useful hints (try them before asking):
    1. Use Qt Assistant
    2. Search the forum

If you haven't found solution yet then create new topic with smart question.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

So it's looking like this is probably a 32 bit compiler issue. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    Do one more thing - what happens if you use the new operator instead of malloc()?
    It also crashes, though oddly after the crash I now get the message "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.", while I got no message with malloc().
    Quote Originally Posted by faldżip View Post
    If you have downloaded Qt SDK then I suppose that you have MinGW - I don't know this one, but I think it is not generating 64-bit code (by default).
    Yes I have the SDK. I've read that Qt is 64 bit since 3.3 - don't really get how that would help with a 32 bit compiler?

Anyway, what 64 bit compilers is Qt compatible with? And how do I change the compiler Qt uses by default?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    I've read that Qt is 64 bit since 3.3 - don't really get how that would help with a 32 bit compiler?
    It means it can be compiled with a 64 bit compiler.

Anyway, what 64 bit compilers is Qt compatible with?
    MinGW has a 64 bit version.

And how do I change the compiler Qt uses by default?
    You use the proper QMAKESPEC directory and make sure paths are setup correctly.

8. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

Skywalker (8th July 2009)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

It was indeed a 32 bit compiler issue - I was able to successfully run a test program compiled with MinGW 64.

I'm not quite sure how to properly set up Qt to work with MinGW64, but I'll make a different thread for that.

Thank you very much