Thread: Cannot add custom widget to Qt Creator

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

Default Cannot add custom widget to Qt Creator

Qt Creator newbie here ... I can add a custom widget to Qt Designer by placing it into the \qt\plugins\designer folder without problems.
    Verified that I used release build when building the custom widget.

In the F.A.Q. it says that if one wants to load custom widgets into Qt Creator you place them into the \bin\designer folder (by default there is only one file in there - qwebview.dll)

I place it in there, but unfortunately nothing happens. I don't see the widget on the component palette when I start the Qt Creator and use the built in designer.

If I click on About plugins within the creator - I do not get the nice information like I do in the desinger - I rather just get a bunch of other plugin information not related to gui design.

I am sure I am missing something simple ... can anyone point me to the right direction?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Cannot add custom widget to Qt Creator

Same problem here!
    Need solution .

Regards.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

I'm also having this same issue and can't seem to find the solution around, anybody figure this out? Thanks.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by djogon View Post
    Qt Creator newbie here ... I can add a custom widget to Qt Designer by placing it into the \qt\plugins\designer folder without problems.
    Verified that I used release build when building the custom widget.

In the F.A.Q. it says that if one wants to load custom widgets into Qt Creator you place them into the \bin\designer folder (by default there is only one file in there - qwebview.dll)

I place it in there, but unfortunately nothing happens. I don't see the widget on the component palette when I start the Qt Creator and use the built in designer.

If I click on About plugins within the creator - I do not get the nice information like I do in the desinger - I rather just get a bunch of other plugin information not related to gui design.

I am sure I am missing something simple ... can anyone point me to the right direction?

Thanks.
    Did you compile your Creator plugins with the same compiler as your Creator was compiled? If it's a binary installation on Windows that would be most likely be MSVC

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I am having the same problem. I downloaded the SDK (4.6), which installed Creator 1.3 and Qt 4.6. I wanted to use msvc (2008) to compile Qt, so I re-configured and compiled Qt with msvc (following all the instructions). I have read in other posts and forums that the Qt Creator that ships with the SDK is compiled with msvc, so I should have no problem seeing my custom plugins in the embedded designer if I put my .dll into the /bin/designer directory. However, this hasn't worked for me. I then downloaded the Qt Creator source, and compiled it using msvc (from my SDK Qt creator!). If I try to run it out of the bin directory, I get "Failed to load core: /plugins/Nokia/Core.dll, cannot load library /plugins/Nokia/Core.dll". HOWEVER, if I run the Qt Creator from the SDK Qt Creator, all runs well, and the plugin will load correctly. So I guess my question is, how do I get the source code to run from the bin like the SDK version does, and if so, how do I replace one with the other so I can see my custom widgets in the integrated qt designer? I don't think I have a versioning problem, as all code seems to be compiled under msvc, using the same version of Qt. Help!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Because the Qt Creator on Windows is compiled by Microslft VC and the custom widget is compiled by MinGW.
    the compiler is not same. I advice you compile Qt Creator by MinGW.