Thread: Rendering foreign OpenGL graphics on a Qt widget (Panda3d + PyQt4)

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt Jambi
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question Rendering foreign OpenGL graphics on a Qt widget (Panda3d + PyQt4)

Hi all

First of all, I'm new here, so apologies in case I'm doing anything wrong...

I'm starting a medical visualisation project, and the whole point of it is to create a flexible but easy-to-use interface for 3D visualisation. After doing some research (and actually using Qt/PyQt for a while), PyQt seems to be the ideal candidate for the job. But I still need another library (probably Panda3D) to manipulate complex 3D scenes, and I need those scenes (several at a time) to be rendered as Qt widgets, blending with the rest of the Qt UI.

So my question here is basically: is it possible? And, if it's possible, how should I do it? Is it just about setting parent objects through window handles, or is it actually not that simple? How much does it depend on what foreign 3D library I use? Would it be a hard task to integrate event handling from those foreign windows/widgets in PyQt code?

Thanks in advance!

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt Jambi
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question Re: Rendering foreign OpenGL graphics on a Qt widget (Panda3d + PyQt4)

Almost forgot: would I have to do anything platform-specific?