Thread: Application deployment on Mac OS X (10.5)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Question Application deployment on Mac OS X (10.5)

Hi everyone,

I succeeded in building my application (with two shared libs, one of them QWT) into a framework using Qt Creator on my Mac (Mac OS X 10.5)

When running the macdeployqt tool I get two warning messages that the tool cannot find my dylib files, but apart from that the Framework is created ok.
    (There seems to be a bug in the script though, because if I don't create the directory myapp.app/Contents/translations first, the script will just copy the system translation file into this file, but not into the directory).

So far so good. Now I copy my own dylib files into the Frameworks directory and create the library links manually as described in the Qt Deployment documentation. This allows me to run the application, but during startup I get the information that multiple libraries are found and the ones in the Frameworks directory are used. Ok. But then the app crashes ("QWidget: Must construct a QApplication before a QPaintDevice").

The strange thing is that when I remove the Qt-Framework packages from the Frameworks directory, the application runs fine - this time using the qt libraries in the system path.

What am I doing wrong? Or is this generally a problem that you cannot run Qt apps with Qt Frameworks in the bundle when you have Qt Development tools also installed?

Thanks for any help. Also, is there a flag or trick how I can get macdeployqt to find my own dylib files and put them into the Framework automatically?

--- Detailed information on the Deployment procedure ---
    1. After building my application I find the following file and directory structure:
    Qt Code:
    1. $ ls -R RoomModel.app
    2. Contents
    4. RoomModel.app/Contents:
    5. Info.plist MacOS PkgInfo Resources
    7. RoomModel.app/Contents/MacOS:
    8. RoomModel
    10. RoomModel.app/Contents/Resources:
    11. empty.lproj
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

2. Running otool gives
    Qt Code:
    1. $ otool -L RoomModel.app/Contents/MacOS/RoomModel
    2. RoomModel.app/Contents/MacOS/RoomModel:
    3. libRoomModel.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    4. libqwt.5.dylib (compatibility version 5.2.0, current version 5.2.1)
    5. QtSvg.framework/Versions/4/QtSvg (compatibility version 4.5.0, current version 4.5.2)
    6. QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui (compatibility version 4.5.0, current version 4.5.2)
    7. /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 136.0.0)
    8. /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit (compatibility version 45.0.0, current version 949.54.0)
    9. QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore (compatibility version 4.5.0, current version 4.5.2)
    10. /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.3)
    11. /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 111.1.4)
    12. /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.4.0)
    13. /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)

3. Now I need to create the translations subdir manually
    Qt Code:
    1. $ mkdir RoomModel.app/Contents/translations

4. I run macdeployqt
    Qt Code:
    1. $ macdeployqt RoomModel.app -no-plugins
    2. ERROR: no file at "/usr/lib/libRoomModel.1.dylib"
    3. ERROR: no file at "/usr/lib/libqwt.5.dylib"
    4. copied "/Library/Frameworks/QtSvg.framework/Versions/4/QtSvg" to "RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtSvg.framework/Versions/4/QtSvg"
    5. stripped "RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtSvg.framework/Versions/4/QtSvg"
    6. copied "/Library/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui" to "RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui"
    7. copied "/Library/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Resources/qt_menu.nib/classes.nib" to "RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Resources/qt_menu.nib/classes.nib"
    8. copied "/Library/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Resources/qt_menu.nib/info.nib" to "RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Resources/qt_menu.nib/info.nib"
    9. copied "/Library/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Resources/qt_menu.nib/keyedobjects.nib" to "RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Resources/qt_menu.nib/keyedobjects.nib"
    10. stripped "RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui"
    11. copied "/Library/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore" to "RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore"
    12. stripped "RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore"

How can I tell macdeployqt where my dylib files are?

5. when running the app now, I get:
    Qt Code:
    1. $ RoomModel.app/Contents/MacOS/RoomModel
    2. dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/libRoomModel.1.dylib
    3. Referenced from: /Users/xxx/Documents/room_model/bin/RoomModel.app/Contents/MacOS/RoomModel
    4. Reason: image not found
    5. Trace/BPT trap

so I copy the dynamic libraries into the Frameworks directory.

Qt Code:
    1. $ cp ../src/libs/libRoomModel.1.dylib RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/
    2. $ cp ../externals/qwt/lib/libqwt.5.dylib RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/

6. Running otool again:
    Qt Code:
    1. @executable_path/../Frameworks/libRoomModel.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    2. @executable_path/../Frameworks/libqwt.5.dylib (compatibility version 5.2.0, current version 5.2.1)
    3. @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtSvg.framework/Versions/4/QtSvg (compatibility version 4.5.0, current version 4.5.2)
    4. @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui (compatibility version 4.5.0, current version 4.5.2)
    5. /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 136.0.0)
    6. /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit (compatibility version 45.0.0, current version 949.54.0)
    7. @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore (compatibility version 4.5.0, current version 4.5.2)
    8. /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.3)
    9. /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 111.1.4)
    10. /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.4.0)
    11. /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    All custom libraries are linked in the Frameworks directory, as it should be.

7. Now running should work:
    Qt Code:
    1. $ RoomModel.app/Contents/MacOS/RoomModel
    2. objc[4049]: Class QCocoaColorPanelDelegate is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui and
    3. /Users/xxx/Documents/room_model/bin/RoomModel.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui.
    4. Using implementation from /Users/xxx/Documents/room_model/bin/RoomModel.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui.
    5. (... many more of these double implementations)
    6. QWidget: Must construct a QApplication before a QPaintDevice
    7. Abort trap
    I can't seem to find the problem with the QWidget and the QPaintDevice.

8. Manually deleting the Qt frameworks from the bundle
    Qt Code:
    1. $ rm -r RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/
    2. $ rm -r RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/
    3. $ rm -r RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtSvg.framework/

running: now it runs perfectly inside the bundle.

What is the problem with the frameworks here???
    --- End Detailed information on the Deployment procedure ---
    Last edited by ghorwin; 26th August 2009 at 09:56. Reason: Added more details
    Andreas

2. The following user says thank you to ghorwin for this useful post:

Hodapp87 (11th March 2010)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Application deployment on Mac OS X (10.5)

Quote Originally Posted by ghorwin View Post
    8. Manually deleting the Qt frameworks from the bundle
    Qt Code:
    1. $ rm -r RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/
    2. $ rm -r RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/
    3. $ rm -r RoomModel.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtSvg.framework/
    running: now it runs perfectly inside the bundle.

What is the problem with the frameworks here???
    --- End Detailed information on the Deployment procedure ---
    I was receiving the same "QWidget: Must construct a QApplication before a QPaintDevice" error on an application which ran okay in Windows, but not in OS X - although on Windows it was in Visual Studio while on OS X it was in Qt Creator, so certainly the build steps differed a little. Most of the messages I read pertained to making sure that the libraries and program were both compiled in debug mode, or both in release mode, but my error persisted regardless of what way I built the program.

Your commands at step (8) fixed my problem as well. I wish I could understand why.