Thread: Alien vs Native Windows - Flicker in Screen Transition

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question Alien vs Native Windows - Flicker in Screen Transition

Hello Buddies,

I am developing an application with Qt 4.5 on Linux (Ubuntu 9.04). The widgets are created by default as aliens. But, my intent is that, in the application screen, there will be a portion on which video will be displayed, on X11 surface.

My problem is with passing the window handle to the player engine (Xine), which expects an X11 surface window handle.

I have used winId() to get the window handle of the widget on which the video should be displayed, and passed the co-prdinates of that widget, for the surface on which the video has to be rendered. This works perfect.

The problem is that, whn I move back and forth in the application, I observe a flicker. I guess it is for native windows forced by winId(). I tried clearing the idget attribute with WA_DontCreateNativeAncestors a true for the widget, after I use winId for it, and also set application attributes with AA_NativeWindows false. But the flicker remains.

Specifically, my question is how can I remove the flicker? Is thre any way to retain alien windows from native windows, after using winId() ?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Alien vs Native Windows - Flicker in Screen Transition

Once a widget is "dealienated", you can't "alienate" it back.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.