Thread: QAbstractItemModel container members?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default QAbstractItemModel container members?

Hello,

I've just started using QAbstractItemModel and QModelIndex with the intent of storing data that I will subsquently display in a QTableWidget subclass and also manipulate in other ways etc. I sort of expected that QAbstractItemModel would contain its own (private) container members so that I could just enter in and retrieve cell data with accessor members like setData(...)/data(). (Like wxGrid and wxGridTableBase.) However, given how data(), rowCount(), and columnCount() are pure virtual, and SetData(...) "... must be reimplemented for editable models." (documentation), and finally that QModelIndex::data() just refers back to its QAbstractItemModel, it looks like this is not true. I.e., I have to create my own container member, such as a vector, to store data values, and implement the above-named functions to access/manipulate *that*.

Is this right? If so then I kind of wonder what QAbstractItemModel is for--i.e., why not just create my own little TableDataStorage class with a vector, setData()/data() functions, and use that? Or to put it another way--do you guys in general find QAbstractItemModel to be useful? Thanks--

Matt

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: QAbstractItemModel container members?

• the QAbstract*Model classes do not contain any internal data store. They are meant to be subclassed to offer a model abstraction over an existing data store and that's what make them so useful : you can use model view without altering or converting your existing data structures
    • these classes cannot be used in conjunction with Q(Table|List|Tree)Widget but only with Q(Table|List|Tree)View because the former use an internal subclass of QAbstract*Model classes with their own data store.
    • it would be just fine to create a model class using vectors as data storage. Just make sure you also offer an alternate way of accessing that data (i.e not through model/view API) for use in other parts of your program.

hope this helps
    Current Qt projects : QCodeEdit, RotiDeCode

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

The QAbstract*Model classes are just defining consistence interfaces for those View classes to use.
    Think of that. How can we write a general view class withou those abstract models? What model type should we put there for the setModel funtion?
    1. Users don't have the manual, and if they did, they wouldn't read it.
    2. In fact, users can't read anything, and if they could, they wouldn't want to.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks guys--since my last post, after a tour through the Qt source, I have managed to figure out how these work, and I'm starting to appreciate their usefulness. Probably more so as I start to get into big datasets that I need to do math on.

Matt