Thread: How to force Qmake to use 2 fixed folders for 'release' and 'debug' ?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default How to force Qmake to use 2 fixed folders for 'release' and 'debug' ?

Hello every-body ,
    As I understand QT now , one creates a new folder for every new project ?
    Thats fine for me , but QMAKE will create two extra-sub-folders for the 'debug' and the 'release' versions of the build .
    In due-time this will accumulate in a lot of folders scattered every where !
    I think making two 'fixed' folders like C:\qt\releases & C:\qt\debugs to be a much cleaner solution ?
    ( You can then change the PATH-environment-variable to point to these locations )
    In order to achieve this one could manually change the DESTDIR variable in Makefile.Release and Makefile.Debug , but a much better solution would be to change a template- or config-file somewhere ?

Anyone with suggestions | remarks | warnings ?

TIA
    Erics ( working in a dual-boot XP-Ubuntu environment with static Qt in XP )

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: How to force Qmake to use 2 fixed folders for 'release' and 'debug' ?

You can set the DESTDIR variable in your project files.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: How to force Qmake to use 2 fixed folders for 'release' and 'debug' ?

Thanks for the reaction : The test-application I'm building now is a simple console-app .
    The way I solved my problem for the moment is going into the Makefile.Release file with Notepad++ and changing all references to release into . (dot) .
    That way The object.o output file and the exe-file both come in the current folder , which is good enough for me .
    To enable the output of the console-app to be visible when running one has to change the LFLAGs -subsystem ,windows into -subsystem,console !!
    I 'm thinking to quit building apps as -static , the resulting code is just too big .
    On the other side I remarked that on my recently bought Vaio there are already 3 extra foreign Qtcore4.dll files installed all different versions and all in a Path-folder ??
    Wonder which one gets called and if this is sane ?
    But that's stuff for another thread .
    Thanks again

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by erics View Post
    The way I solved my problem for the moment is going into the Makefile.Release file with Notepad++ and changing all references to release into . (dot) .
    But why? Why don't you use proper qmake variables to obtain what you want?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Read some documentation about QMake variables and functions but I can say you may pay attention to CONFIG function and DESTDIR variable...
    I would like to be a "Guru"

Useful hints (try them before asking):
    1. Use Qt Assistant
    2. Search the forum

If you haven't found solution yet then create new topic with smart question.