Thread: Compiler error when calling QObject::connect. What am I missing?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Compiler error when calling QObject::connect. What am I missing?

I have encountered a strange compiler error when trying to connect a QGraphicsView's QScrollBar to a slot in my own class.
    The code is as follows (simplified):

Qt Code:
    1. MyClass::MyClass(QWidget * parent, Qt::WindowFlags f): QDialog(parent, f)
    2. {
    3. _widget.setupUi(this);
    5. _imageScene = new QGraphicsScene;
    7. _widget.graphicsView->setScene(_imageScene);
    9. //This works
    10. connect(_widget.imageListView->selectionModel(), SIGNAL(currentChanged(const QModelIndex&, const QModelIndex&)), this, SLOT(currentImageChanged(const QModelIndex&)));
    12. //These two are causing the compiler errors
    13. connect(_widget.graphicsView->horizontalScrollBar(), SIGNAL(valueChanged(int)), this, SLOT(updateVisibleRect()));
    14. connect(_widget.graphicsView->verticalScrollBar(), SIGNAL(valueChanged(int)), this, SLOT(updateVisibleRect()));
    15. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

I didn't forget the Q_OBJECT declaration and the updateVisibleRect() is declared as a slot just like the other slots I have in the class.
    There are a couple of other connects in the constructor I omitted. But they are working just fine. Only if I try to connect the QGraphicsView's scroll bars to my slots, there is a compiler error:

Qt Code:
    1. src/MyClass.cpp:58: error: no matching function for call to `MyClass::connect(QScrollBar*, const char*, MyClass* const, const char*)'
    3. d:/Programme/Qt/2009.04/qt/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/kernel/qobject.h:202: note: candidates are: static bool QObject::connect(const QObject*, const char*, const QObject*, const char*, Qt::ConnectionType)
    5. d:/Programme/Qt/2009.04/qt/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/kernel/qobject.h:308: note: bool QObject::connect(const QObject*, const char*, const char*, Qt::ConnectionType) const
    7. src/MyClass.cpp:59: error: no matching function for call to `MyClass::connect(QScrollBar*, const char*, FATThresholdDialog* const, const char*)'
    9. d:/Programme/Qt/2009.04/qt/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/kernel/qobject.h:202: note: candidates are: static bool QObject::connect(const QObject*, const char*, const QObject*, const char*, Qt::ConnectionType)
    11. d:/Programme/Qt/2009.04/qt/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/kernel/qobject.h:308: note: bool QObject::connect(const QObject*, const char*, const char*, Qt::ConnectionType) const
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

It seems to me that there is a problem with the type returned by QGraphicsView::horizontalScrollBar().
    Strangely, connecting the selectionModel of a QListView I'm also using to one of my slots works just fine.

Is there something I am missing? Any ideas on what causes the error?

Thanks in advance

Someone With A Question

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Compiler error when calling QObject::connect. What am I missing?

Post Deleted
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Did you include the header for QScrollBar in your class?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by rexi View Post
    Did you include the header for QScrollBar in your class?
    That seemed to be the reason. Thanks

A little strange the compiler didn't complain about unresolved type or sth like that.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

It doesn't have to, because you're passing a pointer to it, which at that point is a resolved type. At that point it just doesn't know the QScrollBar is a QObject.
    Horse sense is the thing that keeps horses from betting on people. --W.C. Fields

Ask Smart Questions