Thread: Deplying from QtCreator, and compiling

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Deplying from QtCreator, and compiling

Hy you all guys!
    I just started playing with QtCreator, and as you will see I REALLY a newbie...

Well, as a first try I did a small countdown program, from my home laptop. works like a charm.

Then I copied the file to a computer back in university and I get a "cannot run binary file" message (Ps: running linux on both machines).

I also tried to use static options (added CONFIG += static and staticlib to .pro file), file increases from 40k to 400k, but same message appears.

How I get this to work??

Also, if I want to compile my proj from shell, how I do it... tried make and g++ main.cpp , and none work...

Thanks for all help!!! =D

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 913 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Deplying from QtCreator, and compiling

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hum, nice , I will take a look !!!

But, I think the biggest problem lies somewhere else, as a friend just pointed to me, I am on a 64 machine, while the other is a 32 one (ops...)
    how I set QT creator to compile for other plataforms?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

gcc has the options -m32 and -m64 to build for the different environments. Use QMAKE_CXXFLAGS to configure qmake in your *.pro file.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Ok, not quite working but some progress!

I am using flags :

QMAKE_CFLAGS += -m32
    QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += -m32

and after meeting some missing dependencies I get the following message error, after using make from the terminal (MakeFile generated by QtCreator).

Qt Code:
    1. mainwindow.cpp:(.text._ZN13Ui_MainWindow7setupUiEP11QMainWindow[Ui_MainWindow::setupUi(QMainWindow*)]+0x107): undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned int)'
    2. mainwindow.cpp:(.text._ZN13Ui_MainWindow7setupUiEP11QMainWindow[Ui_MainWindow::setupUi(QMainWindow*)]+0x167): undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned int)'
    3. mainwindow.cpp:(.text._ZN13Ui_MainWindow7setupUiEP11QMainWindow[Ui_MainWindow::setupUi(QMainWindow*)]+0x20e): undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned int)'
    4. mainwindow.cpp:(.text._ZN13Ui_MainWindow7setupUiEP11QMainWindow[Ui_MainWindow::setupUi(QMainWindow*)]+0x2af): undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned int)'
    5. mainwindow.o:mainwindow.cpp:(.text._ZN13Ui_MainWindow7setupUiEP11QMainWindow[Ui_MainWindow::setupUi(QMainWindow*)]+0x350): more undefined references to `operator new(unsigned int)' follow
    6. moc_countdown.o: In function `countDown::qt_metacall(QMetaObject::Call, int, void**)':
    7. moc_countdown.cpp:(.text+0x114): undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::__ostream_insert<char, std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*, int)'
    8. moc_countdown.cpp:(.text+0x202): undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned int)'
    9. moc_mainwindow.o:(.rodata._ZTV10MainWindow[vtable for MainWindow]+0xf4): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to QWidget::devType() const'
    10. moc_mainwindow.o:(.rodata._ZTV10MainWindow[vtable for MainWindow]+0xf8): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to QWidget::paintEngine() const'
    11. moc_mainwindow.o:(.rodata._ZTV10MainWindow[vtable for MainWindow]+0xfc): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to QWidget::metric(QPaintDevice::PaintDeviceMetric) const'
    12. /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Invalid operation
    13. collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    14. make: *** [Pomodoro] Error 1
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

(after a lot of things that went ok, I found was too long and unnecessary to post...)

any ideas now??
    Last edited by emartini; 17th February 2010 at 23:40.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

how does your make file look like? (And just to be sure: have you cleaned your project after editing the pro file and rerun qmake&&make?)

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Its a large MakeFile, so i am pasting only the main parameters (or what it seems to be):

Qt Code:
    1. C = gcc
    2. CXX = g++
    3. DEFINES = -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED
    4. CFLAGS = -pipe -m32 -g -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT $(DEFINES)
    5. CXXFLAGS = -pipe -m32 -g -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT $(DEFINES)
    6. INCPATH = -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -I. -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtCore -I../../../../qtsdk-20
    7. 10.01/qt/include/QtGui -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include -I. -I.
    8. LINK = g++
    9. LFLAGS = -m64 -Wl,-rpath,/home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib
    10. LIBS = $(SUBLIBS) -L/home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib -lQtGui -L/home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -lQtCore
    11. -lpthread
    12. AR = ar cqs
    13. RANLIB =
    14. QMAKE = /home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/bin/qmake
    15. TAR = tar -cf
    16. COMPRESS = gzip -9f
    17. COPY = cp -f
    18. SED = sed
    19. COPY_FILE = $(COPY)
    20. COPY_DIR = $(COPY) -r
    21. STRIP = strip
    22. INSTALL_FILE = install -m 644 -p
    23. INSTALL_DIR = $(COPY_DIR)
    24. INSTALL_PROGRAM = install -m 755 -p
    25. DEL_FILE = rm -f
    26. SYMLINK = ln -f -s
    27. DEL_DIR = rmdir
    28. MOVE = mv -f
    29. CHK_DIR_EXISTS= test -d
    30. MKDIR = mkdir -p

by the way, I changed the code (irrelevant stuff, was organizing my classes, that were a mess), and removed the static libraries option I was using and got a simpler error:

Qt Code:
    1. g++ -c -pipe -m32 -g -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -I. -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtCore -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtGui -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include -I. -I. -o moc_countdown.o moc_countdown.cpp
    2. g++ -m64 -Wl,-rpath,/home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib -o Pomodoro main.o mainwindow.o countdown.o moc_mainwindow.o moc_countdown.o -L/home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib -lQtGui -L/home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -lQtCore -lpthread
    3. collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]
    4. /usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `main.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
    5. /usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `mainwindow.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
    6. /usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `countdown.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
    7. /usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `moc_mainwindow.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
    8. /usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `moc_countdown.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
    9. make: *** [Pomodoro] Error 1

And yes, I am doing make clean before compiling!

Does any of that shines a light?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by emartini View Post
    Does any of that shines a light?
    First command is with -m32, second with -m64. Seems not right to me... There must be any other flag to set but currently I don't know.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Ah, you have to change LFLAGS!

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

hum, sounds logical!!!!

Well I am at work now, as soon as I get home I will give it a try!
    Thanks a lot, and I post any success here!

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

does not work.. :s

So... I tryed a couple of things after

first, just seeting LDFLAGS -= m64, LDFLAGS += m32 on .pro didn did ANYTHING! then changing it by hand on the make file i got

Qt Code:
    1. emartini@emartini1984:~/Documents/Projects/QTPomodoro$ make
    2. g++ -m32 -Wl,-rpath,/home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib -o Pomodoro main.o mainwindow.o countdown.o moc_mainwindow.o moc_countdown.o -L/home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib -lQtGui -L/home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -lQtCore -lpthread
    3. /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib/libQtGui.so when searching for -lQtGui
    4. /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib/libQtGui.so when searching for -lQtGui
    5. /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib/libQtCore.so when searching for -lQtCore
    6. /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib/libQtCore.so when searching for -lQtCore
    7. emartini@emartini1984:~/Documents/Projects/QTPomodoro$ ./Pomodoro
    8. Segmentation fault
    9. emartini@emartini1984:~/Documents/Projects/QTPomodoro$

meaning, it compiles but not run (on any machine, neither 32 or 64)

then I went bananas and changed all 64's on Makefile to 32's (only 64 left is " INSTALL_FILE = install -m 644 -p", dont think it is related at all right?)

then I get :

Qt Code:
    1. emartini@emartini1984:~/Documents/Projects/QTPomodoro$ make
    2. /home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/bin/uic mainwindow.ui -o ui_mainwindow.h
    3. g++ -c -pipe -m32 -g -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/mkspecs/linux-g++-32 -I. -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtCore -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtGui -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include -I. -I. -o main.o main.cpp
    4. g++ -c -pipe -m32 -g -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/mkspecs/linux-g++-32 -I. -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtCore -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtGui -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include -I. -I. -o mainwindow.o mainwindow.cpp
    5. mainwindow.cpp:35: warning: unused parameter ‘iconSize’
    6. g++ -c -pipe -m32 -g -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/mkspecs/linux-g++-32 -I. -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtCore -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtGui -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include -I. -I. -o countdown.o countdown.cpp
    7. /home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/bin/moc -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/mkspecs/linux-g++-32 -I. -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtCore -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtGui -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include -I. -I. mainwindow.h -o moc_mainwindow.cpp
    8. g++ -c -pipe -m32 -g -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/mkspecs/linux-g++-32 -I. -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtCore -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtGui -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include -I. -I. -o moc_mainwindow.o moc_mainwindow.cpp
    9. /home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/bin/moc -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/mkspecs/linux-g++-32 -I. -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtCore -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtGui -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include -I. -I. countdown.h -o moc_countdown.cpp
    10. g++ -c -pipe -m32 -g -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/mkspecs/linux-g++-32 -I. -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtCore -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include/QtGui -I../../../../qtsdk-2010.01/qt/include -I. -I. -o moc_countdown.o moc_countdown.cpp
    11. g++ -m32 -Wl,-rpath,/home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib -o Pomodoro main.o mainwindow.o countdown.o moc_mainwindow.o moc_countdown.o -L/home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib -lQtGui -L/home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib32 -lQtCore -lpthread
    12. /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib/libQtGui.so when searching for -lQtGui
    13. /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib/libQtGui.so when searching for -lQtGui
    14. /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib/libQtCore.so when searching for -lQtCore
    15. /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/emartini/qtsdk-2010.01/qt/lib/libQtCore.so when searching for -lQtCore
    16. emartini@emartini1984:~/Documents/Projects/QTPomodoro$ ./Pomodoro
    17. Segmentation fault
    18. emartini@emartini1984:~/Documents/Projects/QTPomodoro$

Then I added -L/usr/lib32 to LIBS (directly on Makefile also), I get the same as before, but without the "skipping incompatible " lines , but same Segmentation fault...

Then i changed strategy, instead of QtCreator getting my make file, I did my "own" , used "qmake -o Makefile Pomodoro.pro", and it came out really different (what surprised me!)

my make file now gets like that
    Qt Code:
    1. CC = gcc
    2. CXX = g++
    3. DEFINES = -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED
    4. CFLAGS = -pipe -m32 -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT $(DEFINES)
    5. CXXFLAGS = -pipe -m32 -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT $(DEFINES)
    6. INCPATH = -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I.
    7. LINK = g++
    8. LFLAGS = -Wl,-O1
    9. LIBS = $(SUBLIBS) -L/usr/lib32 -lQtGui -lQtCore -lpthread
    10. AR = ar cqs
    11. RANLIB =
    12. QMAKE = /usr/bin/qmake
    13. TAR = tar -cf
    14. COMPRESS = gzip -9f
    15. COPY = cp -f
    16. SED = sed

then I get, after make

Qt Code:
    1. /usr/bin/uic-qt4 mainwindow.ui -o ui_mainwindow.h
    2. g++ -c -pipe -m32 -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/u
    3. sr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I. -o main.o main.cpp
    4. g++ -c -pipe -m32 -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/u
    5. sr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I. -o mainwindow.o mainwindow.cpp
    6. g++ -c -pipe -m32 -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/u
    7. sr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I. -o countdown.o countdown.cpp
    8. /usr/bin/moc-qt4 -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/us
    9. r/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I. mainwindow.h -o moc_mainwindow.cpp
    10. g++ -c -pipe -m32 -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/u
    11. sr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I. -o moc_mainwindow.o moc_mainwindow.cpp
    12. /usr/bin/moc-qt4 -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/us
    13. r/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I. countdown.h -o moc_countdown.cpp
    14. g++ -c -pipe -m32 -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/u
    15. sr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I. -o moc_countdown.o moc_countdown.cpp
    16. g++ -Wl,-O1 -o Pomodoro main.o mainwindow.o countdown.o moc_mainwindow.o moc_countdown.o -L/usr/lib32 -lQtGui -lQtCore -lpthread
    18. bla bla bla bla bla (a lot of the errors that are to come...
    20. countdown.cpp:(.text+0xc7c): undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::__ostream_insert<char, std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*, int)'
    21. countdown.o: In function `countDown::~countDown()':
    22. countdown.cpp:(.text+0xe5c): undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::__ostream_insert<char, std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*, int)'
    23. countdown.o:countdown.cpp:(.text+0x103c): more undefined references to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::__ostream_insert<char, std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*, int)' follow
    24. moc_mainwindow.o:(.rodata._ZTV10MainWindow[vtable for MainWindow]+0xf4): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to QWidget::devType() const'
    25. moc_mainwindow.o:(.rodata._ZTV10MainWindow[vtable for MainWindow]+0xf8): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to QWidget::paintEngine() const'
    26. moc_mainwindow.o:(.rodata._ZTV10MainWindow[vtable for MainWindow]+0xfc): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to QWidget::metric(QPaintDevice::PaintDeviceMetric) const'
    27. /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Invalid operation
    28. collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    29. make: *** [Pomodoro] Error 1

this approach seemed more promissing to me (I am beggining to get suspicious with QtCreator compilation )
    but I could not figure this link failure, googling some people have this problem if they had .o files from different architecture, like if they generate them in a 64 and then try to link on a 32... but here this doesn't apply (I guess...)

Well, if anyone gets a clue what is the problem here I would really appreciate!

and sorry for the flooding!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

in the first your program compiles only ld was not working. There I guess you have to link against the 32 bit libraries of Qt. Try to install Qt for 32 parallel to your installation and build with them when building for 32 bit architecture.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Try to install Qt for 32 parallel to your installation and build with them when building for 32 bit architecture.
    ok.... I got Qt source from the official web site... I notice on config that I can choose the folders where to install with -prefix option right? that will give me the parallel instalation u mean!? (is it really just that, or would that mess up my previous installation?)

But found nothing (on configure) on how to compile to 32!!! or should I just get the make file and add all those -L/usr/lib32 -m32 in their places ?