Thread: Segmentation Fault

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Segmentation Fault

A few days ago I built and debugged a simple GUI Desk Top application. Yesterday I returned to the application and when trying to run it under the QT Creator debugger I got the message: The inferior stopped because it received a signal from the Operating System. -- Signal Name: SIGSEG -- Segment Fault.

I then hit the run button (vs. the debug button) and the application ran just fine.

As a test I created a new QT GUI Application using the wizard. Made no changes, built and ran it (big green execute button) without problems. Then I tried to run it under the debugger and it failed the same way as on my old application.

There are three of us doing development at this site and this morning another developer had the same symptoms on his computer. The third developer has slightly different symptoms, when debugging his application it just exits. In all cases the apps run just fine when started with the Run button.

All of us are running QT Creator 1.3.1, based on QT 4.6.2 (32 bit).
    HELP!

Respectfully,
    John M. Cooney

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Segmentation Fault

I was working with the corporate IT people this morning trying to see if the Anti-Virus stuff was the problem. While working together we stumbled across a process called "Collect.exe" that was doing lots of disk I/O. We killed that process then the QT Creator debugger started functioned correctly again. Go Figure!

Searching the disk I located the file "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\COLLECT.EXE-1F90F744.pf" and renamed it, then rebooted my system. The "Collect.exe" process was not started and the QT Creator debugger worked correctly. I repeated this process on one of the other computers that also had the problem and debugging now works on the computer also.

I don't know what "Collect.exe" does, or why it interfered with QT Creator debugging, nor to be honest had I tried re-enabling "COLLECT.EXE-1F90F744.pf" to verify that is actually the cause. Debugging is now working on the two primary development systems and we are focused on the March customer demo.

Respectfullly,
    John M. Cooney

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Windows

It happened again. Even after renaming the file to keep Collect.exe from running, Windows (or some agent) got a new copy of "COLLECT.EXE-1F90F744.p" and started running it again. With the same result that the QT Creator crashed. Again we killed the process and renamed the file in the Windows\Prefetch directory and the debugger started to work again.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Note that you are listing the "prefetch" file, not the file that is running. Any time a program is executed, Windows XP attempts to find a prefetch file, and if it's available, it will use it to make the application load faster. Off hand, it does not sound like you found and disabled the file if you only found the .pf file (but I could be very wrong).

I am not aware of a collect.exe other than a log collection file for Visual Studio, but I think that you must manually download and install this file yourself.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Windows

The corporate IT people came by yesterday afternoon and fessed up. It turns out that they deployed a Microsoft application to check each system for comparability issues related to Windows 7 and report back to a server. Though Microsoft said it would not disrupt any systems it seems that the application breaks both QT Creator and older versions of the MKS libraries. Go Figure.

The application is setup to automatically deploy, so the IT people came around and set each of our systems so that it would not run the Microsoft Application. We have not had any problems since. Our fingers are crossed.