Hey guys.

I'm writing a audio/video converter as a front end to ffmpeg, and I want to implement a file properties type dialog which the user can bring up on any input file and get basic metadata information about that file. For example, frame rate, video height/width, duration, audio channels etc).

I was looking at the phonon module and thought it looks really nice, it doesn't look like I can get video-related metadata. I've spent ages looking through the documentation and it seems I can only extract artist/album/track data for audio files (which is useless to me).

My question is, does anyone know of a way using Phonon to extract his data from media files (both audio and video)? If that's not possible with phonon do you know of a clean library I can use to do it? I was looking at gstreamer code but most of it just went utterly over my head, and it seems massivly overkill for what I need. Right now my only solution is to use libavcodec/libavformat (which are a lot easier than gstreamer), but I find these libraries both HUGE in size and very inaccurate in detecting things like file duration, which screws up with my progress bars.

Thanks in advance.

Simon