Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default QSerialDevice v 0.2.0 released

Hi

So, announces release: QSerialDevice v 0.2.0

Many amendments, write makes no sense, therefore, give a brief clipping annotations:

QSerialDevice - a cross-platform library for serial devices, which uses framework Qt4 (see http://qt.nokia.com/).

Requirements:

OC: Win2K/WinXP/WinVista/Win7 or any GNU / Linux distribution
    Qt4:>=4.5.0
    Processor: any (which is supported by Qt4)
    Compiler: any (which is supported by Qt4)

Notes:

Due to the fact that I (the author) do not have the opportunity to test the library at all possible operating systems, all compilers, processors, etc. - It is possible that the library in some cases will not work: (.
    Library tested only on:
    OC: Windows XP Pro Sp3 (win32) and GNU ArchLinux x86_64
    Qt4: from 4.5.3 to 4.6.2
    Processor: AMD Athlon 4400 + 64x2 Socket AM2
    Compiler: gcc, MinGw
    Theoretically (with minor fixes source code) can ensure that the library has worked on other platforms.

QSerialDevice Library contains the following classes:

* AbstractSerial
    * SerialDeviceWatcher
    * SerialDeviceInfo

AbstractSerial

Class AbstractSerial - provides a self-contained set of methods and properties for light and easy to work with serial devices (serial port) of your PC (or other device).

The class supports the following features:
    - to set the speed of data exchange
    - to set the number of bits of data
    - to set the number of stop bit
    - set modes parity
    - to establish regimes of control flow
    - set timeout symbol
    - write data to the serial device
    - read data from serial device
    - manage such lines as a port: DTR, RTS
    - reading of such lines as a port: CTS, DSR, DCD, RI, RTS, DTR, ST, SR
    - automatically receive notification when:
    - receiving at least one byte (character) in the input buffer
    - writing the last byte in the output buffer
    - change of status of the serial device (for errors, etc.)
    - to get the current value of the number of bytes in the receiving buffer
    - set timeout joining at least one byte (character) in the input buffer

(see further description AbstractSerial and source code)

SerialDeviceWatcher

Class SerialDeviceWatcher - is a helper class for the monitoring of serial devices.

Class provides the following features:
    - to obtain a list of names of all serial devices that are available in the system
    - automatically receive notification when adding / removing of any serial device

(see further description SerialDeviceWatcher and source code)

SerialDeviceInfo

Class SerialDeviceInfo - also is a helper class to obtain information about the serial device.

Class provides the following features:
    - to get "friendly" name interesuyushego us serial device
    - to obtain the "description" interesuyushego us serial device
    - to get VID and PID interesuyushego us serial device (experimental)
    - we are interested to check the serial device to the existence of
    - we are interested to check the serial device on employment (lock)
    -, etc.

(see further description SerialDeviceInfo and source code)

Download from Qt-Apps.org: http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show....d0a355634137ac
    Download Releases can be the home page of the project: http://fireforge.net/frs/?group_id=199
    Download the latest cuts SVN: http://fireforge.net/snapshots.php?group_id=199

2. The following user says thank you to kuzulis for this useful post:

cutie.monkey (15th June 2010)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: QSerialDevice v 0.2.0 released

Is there something special I need to do to build QSerialDevice on an Ubuntu Linux platform? I have no trouble building and running successfully on windows, but building on Linux I get
    /moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:12: error: #error "The header file 'serialdevicewatcher.h' doesn't include <QObject>."
    If I add "#include <QObject>" to serialdevicewatcher.h I get
    /moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:78: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct SerialDeviceWatcherPrivate’
    and
    /../QSerialDevice/serialdevicewatcher.h:33: error: forward declaration of ‘struct SerialDeviceWatcherPrivate’
    moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:78 is
    Qt Code:
    1. case 1: d_func()->_q_processAvailableNotifier(); break;
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    As I try to fix these, the errors start to multiply. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I just checked the compilation of: svn checkout svn://scm.fireforge.net/svnroot/qserialdevice
    and I have all good compile. OS ArchLinux x86_64.

Try has make the so:
    - Remove from the project all Makefile, *. moc, *. obj files and then compile. (Or equivalent to do: # make distclean)

5. The following user says thank you to kuzulis for this useful post:

jnadelman (14th June 2010)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks. That was helpful. Builds fine now.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

QSerialDevice is very helpful! I'ved been using this in LINUX and WINDOWS. Thanks to the author..

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

NEWS!

QSerialDevice moved to Git: http://gitorious.org/qserialdevice

Now the main line (master) and the development will be on Git!!!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Cool. I've been using QextSerialPort, but it isn't without its problems. How is QSerialDevice different/better than QExtSerialPort? Why was it created?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Cool. I've been using QextSerialPort, but it isn't without its problems.
    What's the problem with QextSerialPort?

How is QSerialDevice different/better than QExtSerialPort?
    Difference is enormous. As in the very architecture of the library, and additional opportunities.
    There are only a small minus, which lies in the fact that at the moment fully supported by OS Win 2k/XP/Vista/7 + GNU / Linux. Other OS partially supported.
    More information you will find viewing the source code and documentation. And compare for yourself.

Why was it created?
    Yes just like that! You will not believe it!
    I am not happy QextSerialPort. I could add a functional - but this would alter the entire architecture QextSerialPort. But then it was already not QextSerialPort - but something else!
    So I decided to create a new library from scratch.

----
    Another remark for all:
    Need help in implementation of native support for classes SerialDeviceWatcher and SerialDeviceInfo for MacOSX and other operating systems (if possible).
    It would be nice for that "steal" code from QextSerialPort - but I do not know MacOSX and I have no time! Still, it's summer - a summer to relax!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by kuzulis View Post
    What's the problem with QextSerialPort?
    I never got the enumerator to work properly, and also never got it working by listening for readyRead. It seems to only work using polling.

More information you will find viewing the source code and documentation. And compare for yourself.
    Thanks, will do. I guess the other difference is that QextSerialPort is BSD or public domain instead of GPL...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I was able to get QSerialDevice working on linux and windows without too much trouble. I was only able to get QextSerialPort working on windows.

Default problems compiling QSerialDevice under visual studio 2008

Hello all,

I'm trying to compile QSerialDevice v 0.2.0 on windows with VisualStudio 2008.
    * I've created a CMakeLists file (attached)
    * When I compile the project i have the two (similar) following errors:

- in moc_serialdevicewatcher.cxx, I get a compiler error because I use the undefined type SerialDeviceWatcherPrivate in the function SerialDeviceWatcher::qt_metacall (the d_func() is supposed to return a SerialDeviceWatcherPrivate object)

- in moc_serialdevicenotifier.cxx, I get a compiler error because I use the undefined type SerialNotifierPrivate in the function SerialNotifier::qt_metacall (the d_func() is supposed to return a SerialNotifierPrivate object)

If in moc_serialdevicewatcher.cxx I replace the include file
    #include "../../qserialdevice/serialdevicewatcher.h"
    by the include file
    #include "../../qserialdevice/serialdevicewatcher_p.h" in

And in moc_serialdevicenotifier.cxx I replace the include file
    #include "../../qserialdevice/serialnotifier.h" in
    by the include file
    #include "../../qserialdevice/serialnotifier_p.h"

I can compile everything without problem. However I get linker errors like this :

warning LNK4006: "public: virtual struct QMetaObject const * __thiscall SerialDeviceWatcher::metaObject(void)const " (?metaObject@SerialDeviceWatcher@@UBEPBUQMetaObjec t@@XZ) déjà défini dans moc_serialdevicewatcher.obj

which i think suggest that i have problems with my .moc files

Would anyone have some insight on why I get this compiler error and how I could compile the library correctly with MSVS2008 ?

Thanks a lot,
    Best
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: problems compiling QSerialDevice under visual studio 2008

I am not familiar with your dev env but you may have better luck with QextSerialPort

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: problems compiling QSerialDevice under visual studio 2008

2 zazarb .

1. Try http://gitorious.org/qserialdevice

2. If you're doing a compilation with CMake, then you must do so:
    ie to gather with CMake need:

//#include "moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp"
    #include "serialdevicewatcher.moc"

ie to gather with qmake need:

#include "moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp"
    //#include "serialdevicewatcher.moc"
    etc. do the same in other *. cpp files where there is # include "moc_xx.cpp"

If more, then see the topic: http://www.prog.org.ru/topic_12491_0.html
    (Translated into Russian with the help of Google Translate)

I've created a CMakeLists file (attached)
    Thank you. I have in the future to add CMake QSerialDevice.

Hello and thanks for your quick reply.

I was finally able to compile the CSerialDevice library for VS2008 (I'm not sure yet it works with virtual ports though), and thought I'd just describe my steps to make it work for below in the post (I've also included all the CMakeLists files). Now I have also compiled the SerialDeviceInfo example, but using virtual ports on my PC, it seems that they are not recognized. I still need to check things out a bit, but would anybody have insights on that matter?

Unrelated question : now that the project is on Gitorious, is this website the place where I should post these remarks/questions, or should I ask them on Gitorious ?

1) I downloaded the latest version of the library on Gitorious

2) I included a missing #include <QObject> header where missing

3) I corrected a PCVOID error by adding a #define PCVOID LPCVOID in nativeserialengine.h

4) In the cmake file, the moc files can either be created using:

* qt4_wrap_cpp(MOC_SRCS ${MOC_SRCS}) : it creates some moc_xxx.cxx files included at the end of serialnotifier_p_win.cpp and serialdevicewatcher_p_win.cpp. Even after replacing the #include "moc_xxx.cpp" by "moc_xxx.cxx" at the end of the files to remove compiler errors, I couldn't remove the errors mentioned in the previous posts, I think that it is due to a problem of compiling order (it seems that vs2008 creates the moc_xxx.cxx files but then does not compile them.

* qt4_automoc(${SRCS}) : to make this work,
    - I had to add at the beginning of every file inheriting QObject a #include "myclass.moc" (abstractserial.cpp, abstractserialengine.cpp, nativeserialengine.cpp, serialnotifier.cpp, serialdeviceinfo.cpp serialdevicewatcher.cpp
    - I had to remove the #include "moc_xxx.cxx" at the end of serialnotifier_p_win.cpp and serialdevicewatcher_p_win.cpp.

After all this I still had a linker error: __declspec(dllimport) public: static class QString __cdecl QString::fromWCharArray(wchar_t const *,int). This is due to a wrong setting in the default config properties of vs2008: you need to set properties->configuration options->C++-> language->"treat wchar_t as integrated type" or some name like that to NO (actually, I think that this is only needed in the qserialdeviceinfoLib project but i haven't confirmed).
    This option can be set through the CMakes using this:
    set_target_properties(qserialdeviceinfoLib PROPERTIES COMPILE_FLAGS "/Zc:wchar_t-")
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

2 zazarb

(I'm not sure yet it works with virtual ports though),
    What exactly does not work? AbstractSerial or SerialDeviceWatcher or SerialDeviceInfo?
    If SerialDeviceInfo - then try a new experimental class SeialDeviceEnumerator!

where I should post these remarks/questions, or should I ask them on Gitorious ?
    Yes, now the project is at Gitorgious. Bugs and ask questions there. Or send e-mail me at. Let's stay together to deal with problems.

After all this I still had a linker error: __declspec(dllimport) public: stat
    Maybe you need to change the file "qserialdevice_global.h" i.e. part macros Q_DECL_EXPORT etc.
    I realized this is bad, because wanted to be able to compile the library as static and shared for all compilers and all operating systems.
    If you follow the recommendations of the Nokia "Creating Shared Libraries" (search in QtAssistant) and make "qserialdevice_global.h" as they say - it will compile only the shared library.
    Last edited by kuzulis; 13th August 2010 at 14:11.

Hello,
    Actually, by applying all the modifications that I posted in the previous email, and by installing a nice virtual serial port software, I was able to build the whole library+examples correctly, everything works fine !
    Thanks for your help, and I'll move to Gitorious now if i have further questions/problems.
    Sandrine

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by kuzulis View Post
    I just checked the compilation of: svn checkout svn://scm.fireforge.net/svnroot/qserialdevice
    and I have all good compile. OS ArchLinux x86_64.

Try has make the so:
    - Remove from the project all Makefile, *. moc, *. obj files and then compile. (Or equivalent to do: # make distclean)
    I have the same problem, but also distcleaning the problem is still present.
    I am able to correclty compile the integrated library

here is the project:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7966431/testQSer.zip

I run Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit, gcc 4.4.1, qt 4.5.2

thanks

Maybe I am wrong but I can check only tomorrow morning

thanks
    Last edited by mastupristi; 13th September 2010 at 21:09. Reason: updated contents

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by mastupristi View Post
    I have the same problem, but also distcleaning the problem is still present.
    I am able to correclty compile the integrated library

here is the project:

I run Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit, gcc 4.4.1, qt 4.5.2

thanks

Maybe I am wrong but I can check only tomorrow morning
    Unfortunately I must confirm the problem, even if I delete all generated files:

the errors are:
    Qt Code:
    1. Running build steps for project testQSer...
    2. Starting: "/usr/bin/qmake-qt4" /home/POWERSOFT/massimiliano/prog/testQser/testQSer/testQSer.pro -r -spec linux-g++ CONFIG+=debug
    3. The process "/usr/bin/qmake-qt4" exited normally.
    4. Starting: "/usr/bin/make" -w
    5. make: ingresso nella directory «/home/POWERSOFT/massimiliano/prog/testQser/testQSer-build-desktop»
    6. g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I../testQSer -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I../testQSer -I. -o main.o ../testQSer/main.cpp
    7. /usr/bin/moc-qt4 -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I../testQSer -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I../testQSer -I. ../testQSer/myclass.h -o moc_myclass.cpp
    8. g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I../testQSer -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I../testQSer -I. -o moc_myclass.o moc_myclass.cpp
    9. /usr/bin/moc-qt4 -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I../testQSer -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I../testQSer -I. ../testQSer/seriale/serialdevicewatcher.h -o moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp
    10. g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I../testQSer -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I../testQSer -I. -o moc_serialdevicewatcher.o moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp
    11. moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:12:2: error: #error "The header file 'serialdevicewatcher.h' doesn't include <QObject>."
    12. In file included from moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:10:
    13. ../testQSer/seriale/serialdevicewatcher.h:29: error: expected class-name before ‘{’ token
    14. ../testQSer/seriale/serialdevicewatcher.h:30: error: ‘Q_OBJECT’ does not name a type
    15. ../testQSer/seriale/serialdevicewatcher.h:36: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
    16. ../testQSer/seriale/serialdevicewatcher.h:41: error: ‘QStringList’ does not name a type
    17. ../testQSer/seriale/serialdevicewatcher.h:47: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘Q_DECLARE_PRIVATE’ with no type
    18. ../testQSer/seriale/serialdevicewatcher.h:48: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘Q_DISABLE_COPY’
    19. ../testQSer/seriale/serialdevicewatcher.h:50: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
    20. ../testQSer/seriale/serialdevicewatcher.h:44: warning: non-static const member ‘SerialDeviceWatcherPrivate* const SerialDeviceWatcher::d_ptr’ in class without a constructor
    21. moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:20: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘static’
    22. moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:46: error: ‘QMetaObject’ does not name a type
    23. moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:51: error: expected initializer before ‘*’ token
    24. moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:56: error: no ‘void* SerialDeviceWatcher::qt_metacast(const char*)’ member function declared in class ‘SerialDeviceWatcher’
    25. moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:64: error: ‘int SerialDeviceWatcher::qt_metacall’ is not a static member of ‘class SerialDeviceWatcher’
    26. moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:64: error: ‘QMetaObject’ has not been declared
    27. moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:64: error: expected primary-expression before ‘int’
    28. moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:64: error: expected primary-expression before ‘void’
    29. moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:64: error: initializer expression list treated as compound expression
    30. moc_serialdevicewatcher.cpp:65: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘;’ before ‘{’ token
    31. make: uscita dalla directory «/home/POWERSOFT/massimiliano/prog/testQser/testQSer-build-desktop»
    32. make: *** [moc_serialdevicewatcher.o] Errore 1
    33. The process "/usr/bin/make" exited with code %2.
    34. Error while building project testQSer (target: Desktop)
    35. When executing build step 'Make'
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

my test project has been updated:

any idea?

thanks
    Last edited by mastupristi; 14th September 2010 at 09:44.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Try download current Git snapshot and rebuild library.
    Classes SerialDeviceWatcher and SerialDeviceInfo more is not supported (deprecated). Try class SerialDeviceEnumerator.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Hello, I´m using QT4.6.3 in conjunction with VS2008.... so i downloaded QSERIALDEVICE 2.0 and tried to compile the QserialDevice.Lib in the way documented in the file readme_en.txt....... so qmake BuildIntegr........... works fine....the when i type the command "make" ther appears the Error Message "makefile:83: *** missing separator. Stop" so the tree under the directory build stays nearly empty..... Do anyone have an Idea? Without the Lib there ist no way to try serial programming Thanks for every help -Ralf-