Thread: Problem building Qwt 5.2.0 with MinGW

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Question Problem building Qwt 5.2.0 with MinGW

I downloaded Qwt 5.2.0 from source forge, and unzipped it to a folder.
    I editted the qwtconfig.pri file to point to this folder and tweaked the other items as I felt were necessary.
    I have tried to build qwt from a command prompt as well as from within qt creator 1.3.1 but both fail and I am stumped.

Command prompt:
    I launch a command prompt from the Qt 4.6.1 (open source) menu which seems to setup all the correct variables. Then without changing folders I type qmake /my qwt folder/qwt.pro and get no feedback. I then type make and it chugs away for awhile but eventually fails and I get the following (last few lines only):

c:\projects\libraries\qwtlibs\qwt-5.2.0\src\/qwt_valuelist.h:48: instantiated
    from here
    ..\include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qhash.h:875: error: call of overloaded
    'qHash(const double&)' is ambiguous
    ..\include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qhash.h:62: note: candidates are: uint
    qHash(char)
    ..\include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qhash.h:63: note: uint
    qHash(uchar)
    ..\include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qhash.h:64: note: uint
    qHash(signed char)
    ..\include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qhash.h:65: note: uint
    qHash(ushort)
    ..\include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qhash.h:66: note: uint
    qHash(short int)
    ..\include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qhash.h:67: note: uint
    qHash(uint)
    ..\include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qhash.h:68: note: uint
    qHash(int)
    ..\include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qhash.h:69: note: uint
    qHash(ulong)
    ..\include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qhash.h:77: note: uint
    qHash(long int)
    ..\include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qhash.h:78: note: uint
    qHash(quint64)
    ..\include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qhash.h:86: note: uint
    qHash(qint64)
    ..\include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qhash.h:87: note: uint
    qHash(QChar)
    mingw32-make[2]: *** [obj/qwt_plot.o] Error 1
    mingw32-make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/Qt/4.6.1/src'
    mingw32-make[1]: *** [release-all] Error 2
    mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Qt/4.6.1/src'
    mingw32-make: *** [sub-src-make_default] Error 2

And I have no clue what to do. I have tried search on the net and forums and have found no clues.

I then tried from within QtCreator:
    As I have VS2003 as well as other version of Qt installed on my PC I wanted to make sure that the correct environment variables are set, so I again ran the 4.6.1 command prompt and launch QtCreator from this. I then browse to and open qwt.pro and build it and get the following:
    Running build steps for project qwt...
    Starting: c:/qt/4.6.1/bin/qmake.exe C:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0/qwt.pro -r -spec $(QTDIR)\mkspecs\win32-g++ -tp vc QMAKE_INCDIR_QT=$(QTDIR)\include QMAKE_LIBDIR_QT= QMAKE_LIBDIR=$(QTDIR)\lib QMAKE_UIC=$(QTDIR)\bin\uic.exe QMAKE_MOC=$(QTDIR)\bin\moc.exe QMAKE_RCC=$(QTDIR)\bin\rcc.exe QMAKE_QMAKE=$(QTDIR)\bin\qmake.exe
    Reading C:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0/src/src.pro
    Reading C:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0/textengines/textengines.pro
    Reading C:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0/designer/designer.pro
    WARNING: Unable to generate output for: C:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0/src/Makefile.Release [TEMPLATE vclib]
    WARNING: Unable to generate output for: C:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0/src/Makefile.Debug [TEMPLATE vclib]
    WARNING: Unable to generate output for: c:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0/textengines/Makefile.Release [TEMPLATE vcsubdirs]
    WARNING: Unable to generate output for: c:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0/textengines/Makefile.Debug [TEMPLATE vcsubdirs]
    WARNING: Unable to generate output for: C:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0/designer/Makefile.Release [TEMPLATE vclib]
    WARNING: Unable to generate output for: C:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0/designer/Makefile.Debug [TEMPLATE vclib]
    WARNING: Unable to generate output for: c:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0/Makefile.Release [TEMPLATE vcsubdirs]
    WARNING: Unable to generate output for: c:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0/Makefile.Debug [TEMPLATE vcsubdirs]
    Exited with code 0.
    Starting: C:/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe -w
    mingw32-make: Entering directory `C:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0'
    C:/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make -f Makefile.Release
    mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0'
    mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0'
    mingw32-make: Leaving directory `C:/Projects/Libraries/QwtLibs/qwt-5.2.0'
    mingw32-make[1]: Makefile.Release: No such file or directory
    mingw32-make[1]: *** No rule to make target `Makefile.Release'. Stop.
    mingw32-make: *** [release] Error 2
    Exited with code 2.
    Error while building project qwt
    When executing build step 'Make'

I am very new to MinGW and to QtCreator so I am stuck and any help would be much appreciated.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Problem building Qwt 5.2.0 with MinGW

Quote Originally Posted by spatten View Post
    I have tried search on the net and forums and have found no clues.
    Searching for "qHash" in this forum should give you enough information. Anyway, the short answer is: "svn co https://qwt.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/qwt/branches/qwt-5.2"

Uwe

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Thanks, this version seems to work. So problem solved but I still have a question:
    How can there be 2 versions of 5.2.0 that are different, surely if there are changes it should be a different version number?
    Why does the version retrieved from sourceforge not work, surely it will have been tested/approved in some way before being published?
    If this is a dumb question, please forgive me but I'm new to this open source stuff.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by spatten View Post
    How can there be 2 versions of 5.2.0 that are different, surely if there are changes it should be a different version number?
    There is only one 5.2.0 release - but a 5.2 branch for bugfixes in SVN. It would become a 5.2.1, if I decide to release one more for the 5.2 series. As soon as a bugfix breaks binary compatibility you would find a 5.3 branch - what doesn't mean, that you will ever seen an official 5.3.x release.

The main development is in SVN trunk and will become Qwt 6.0.

Uwe

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Hi! I have exactly the same problem compiling Qwt 5.2 on windows with MinGW. I don't quite understand how to actually get the bugfix version mentioned - how do I "svn co https://qwt.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/qwt/branches/qwt-5.2" ? Sorry to be a dope - would really like to try Qwt out it looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

svn is the command line interface of Subversion. A hint about using the Subversion repository of Qwt means, that it is already fixed, but there is no release yet.

Uwe

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Smile Re: Problem building Qwt 5.2.0 with MinGW

That worked (managed to work out how to use svn from within Netbeans). However I did find one little problem - when I tried to build the designer plugin I got a wierd error about not being able to find binrcc.exe. After much searching I discovered that there is no such thing as binrcc.exe and that the problem lay in the makefiles generated by qmake - the files Makefile.Debug and Makefile.Release generated by qmake both contain the line:
    Qt Code:
    1. @echo rcc qwt_designer_plugin.qrc && C:/Qt/2010.02.1/qt/bin\rcc.exe -name
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Note the final slash before rcc.exe - this somehow gets misread as binrcc.exe. I edit the two files to switch the '\' for a '/' and the plugin compiled fine. Thanks for your help!