Thread: how to accelerate the replot?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Question how to accelerate the replot?

Hello,

I have implemented the dragging function of some QwtPlotMarkers by using the QwtPlotPicker ( see code below), but I'm not satisfied about the speed of replot, because when I move the items they don't move fluently but with jumps and I can also see the for loop in it, because first one item is moved then the second and so on. How can I move the selected items simultaneously? Help me please.

Thank you

best regards,

Vitali

Qt Code:
    1. // this function provides the ability to move items on the plot
    2. void Plot::cursorMoved( const QwtDoublePoint& Point){
    4. if(_mf->getMode() == mainFrame::Recombination){ // allow to move the plot items only in Recombination phase
    6. if(!selected_Points.empty()){ //if the list with selected items is not empty, then...
    7. for(int i=0; i< selected_Points.size(); ++i) {
    8. picker->setRubberBand(QwtPicker::NoRubberBand); // switch off the rubber band during drag process
    9. double delta_x = Point.x() - clickpos->x(); // calculate the x difference
    10. double delta_y = Point.y() - clickpos->y(); // calculate the y difference
    12. unsigned idx=_mf->objFunction;
    13. double rangex1[2] = {optProbList[idx]->range_x1[0], optProbList[idx]->range_x1[1]};
    14. double rangex2[2] = {optProbList[idx]->range_x2[0], optProbList[idx]->range_x2[1]};
    16. // set the new coordinates to the moved item, but check first whether the movement is within the valid area
    17. if((selected_Points[i]->xValue() + delta_x) < rangex1[1] && (selected_Points[i]->xValue() + delta_x) > rangex1[0]){
    18. selected_Points[i]->setXValue(selected_Points[i]->xValue() + delta_x);
    19. }
    20. if((selected_Points[i]->yValue() + delta_y) < rangex2[1] && (selected_Points[i]->yValue() + delta_y) > rangex2[0]){
    21. selected_Points[i]->setYValue(selected_Points[i]->yValue() + delta_y);
    22. }
    23. // check which index does this selected item have
    24. int index = (selected_Points[i]->title().text().toInt()); // transform from string to integer
    25. _mf->updateChromosome( selected_Points[i]->value(),index); // update the individuals with new values
    26. }
    27. this->replot(); // replot the plot widget after the selected point was moved
    28. }
    29. else{
    30. picker->setRubberBand(QwtPicker::RectRubberBand); // switch on the rectangle rubber band
    31. }
    32. clickpos = new QwtDoublePoint(Point); // update the reference point
    33. }
    34. else return;
    35. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: how to accelerate the replot?

Dragging something on a plot widget needs to be implemented as overlay widget ( like text and rubberband of a picker ). Another ( less optimal ) solution is to introduce a pixmap cache for all plot items below your marker and reimplement YourPlot::drawItems().

The way you want to implement dragging only works fast enough for simple scenes without much data.

Uwe

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Uwe, thank you for your reply.

You told me already, that I have to implemente it as overlay widget, but I don't know what do you mean with "overlay widget".
    By dragging a rectangle around multiple items I get the selected items in my list/vector of QwtPlotMarkers, now how should I implement the overlay widget, which will acomplish the movement of them? It would be very helpful, if you provide more details on "overlay widget". Thank you.

best regards,

Vitali

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Overlay widget means widget which is placed and drawn above qwtplot, it is its
    children but it's not a qwtplot item. QwtPlotMarker is an plot item. So you must
    replot whole plot just to drag one item. As it was said before performance speed
    in this case should be suitable only if scene is very simple.

1) You can create widget with transparent background, draw markers on it (or some simple models of them like crosses or dots)
    in some kind of drawing zone (like rect of your selection) or resize this widget to size of selection rect and raise() it.
    2) With mouse dragging you simply move your widget around your plot canvas (it will look like you moving copy of markers around)
    3) After mouse realease calculate coordinates, place markers there and replot the plot

http://wiki.qtcentre.org/index.php?title=Widget_Overlay - this is example of overlay widget. Instead of simple line you can draw some kind of "markers" of your markers on this widget
    Last edited by KosyakOFF; 9th December 2009 at 14:17.

5. The following user says thank you to KosyakOFF for this useful post:

rambo83 (11th December 2009)

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Probably the easiest implementation is using one of the internal overlay widgets of a QwtPlotPicker ( f.e. reimplementing YourPicker::drawRubberband() ).

Uwe

7. The following user says thank you to Uwe for this useful post:

rambo83 (11th December 2009)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there is another place where I can get access to the code for this overlay widget example? The Wiki is still down. Does anyone have the example code that they could email me?

Thanks, rmk

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Type in google "qt overlay widget", second or third link should lead to this Wiki. Click on "Cached" near link to Wiki and in opened window "Text only version" (top right corner of the page).

10. The following user says thank you to KosyakOFF for this useful post:

rmk (17th March 2010)