Thread: QGraphicsItem itemChanged() for ItemPositionHasChanged not working for Release

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question QGraphicsItem itemChanged() for ItemPositionHasChanged not working for Release

Hi All,

I am using QGraphicsView/Scene architecture to drawing items. I have added rectangles using QGraphicsItem and there are lines drawn between them. I want to move the lines are per rectangle changes its position using Mouse drag. Its like 'Elastic Nodes" app. in sample code. My app. works fine for Debug version on Windows XP but same code doesnt work for release version. I am not able to get itemChanged() event for ItemPositionHasChanged for Release.

Please tell me the solution.

Thanks in advance.

Nilesh

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 913 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60
    Wiki edits

Default Re: QGraphicsItem itemChanged() for ItemPositionHasChanged not working for Release

Have you QGraphicsItem::ItemSendsScenePositionChanges activated?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: QGraphicsItem itemChanged() for ItemPositionHasChanged not working for Release

Thanks for your reply ..

Can you tell me how to activate QGraphicsItem::ItemSendsScenePositionChanges ?
    I am using QT 4.5.1 version.
    Also I have noticed this problem for 'Elastic Nodes' example's Release version as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 913 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60
    Wiki edits

Hmm, this flag was introduced in 4.6... Then I can't think of any case why in your release version it doen't work. Sorry.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

What is your code for itemChanged()?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Same as in 'ElasticNode' example.
    which doesnt get called for Release version I am using QT 4.5.1. & Visual Studio 2008 on Windowz XP.
    Qt Code:
    1. QVariant Node::itemChange(GraphicsItemChange change, const QVariant &value)
    2. {
    3. switch (change) {
    4. case ItemPositionHasChanged:
    5. foreach (Edge *edge, edgeList)
    6. edge->adjust();
    7. graph->itemMoved();
    8. break;
    9. default:
    10. break;
    11. };
    13. return QGraphicsItem::itemChange(change, value);
    14. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    Last edited by wysota; 7th April 2010 at 09:14. Reason: wrong bbcode tag usage

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

And how do you know it doesn't get called?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I have put some std::cout << "\nItemPositionHasChanged"; in this function, which doesnt get print in case of Release version but for Debug version it gets print.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Does any other std::cout get printed throughout your application in release mode? Did you remember to flush the stream (i.e. with std::endl)?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

ya, other std::cout gets print. but as it seems event is not getting called I am not able to see the ItemPositionHasChanged string.
    Also as I have lot of rectagle getting drawn. so to improve performance initially I am drawing filled rect without border and then after some LevelOfDetails I am drawing border.
    the codei s below
    Qt Code:
    1. // Paints the item.
    2. void RectItem :: paint(QPainter * painter, QStyleOptionGraphicsItem const * option, QWidget * widget)
    3. {
    4. Q_UNUSED(widget);
    6. painter->setPen(Qt::black);
    7. painter->setBrush(brush);
    8. if (option->levelOfDetail > 2.)
    9. painter->drawRects(&squareRect, 1);
    10. else
    11. painter->fillRect(squareRect, brush);
    12. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

But above code also seems not working for Release version. I am not able to see border after zoom-in operations when levelOfDetails > 2.

its very strange as same code works in Debug version.
    Last edited by nileshsince1980; 7th April 2010 at 10:28.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Please use proper bbcode tags in your posts.

Make sure that you are actually running the right binary (i.e. that it has been rebuilt with your changes). It's not possible that an arbitrary method is called in debug mode and ignored in release mode.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Ho Wysota,

I am too feeling the same way as you. I have tried cleaning and rebuilding the app. , checking the lib. for Debug/Release version. But nothing seems worked.
    If possible Can you just try to compile 'ElasticNode' example from Sample Code of QT 4.5.1 with VS2008 on Windows XP and see this effect.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I don't use VS2008 but the compiler is really irrelevant here. The elastic nodes example works fine and that's the sufficient proof that the method gets called.

14. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

nileshsince1980 (8th April 2010)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

This is just a wild guess, but could it be that the release version of your program version loads the 4.6 Qt dlls at runtime? That would explain the effect. Check your paths or debug the release version in MSVC and check the output pane.

EDIT:
    This also explains the problems with levelOfDetails, because this variable isn't set anymore in 4.6.

There were some major performance tweaks of the Graphics View Framework between 4.5 and 4.6 and the Qt developers decided to change the default behaviour to "Don't pay for what you don't use". This means that any code relying on items sending updates of their position, or using levelOfDetail will not work as expected with the 4.6 dlls.
    Last edited by spud; 7th April 2010 at 13:43.

16. The following user says thank you to spud for this useful post:

nileshsince1980 (8th April 2010)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi All,
    Thanks for your suggestion.

After taking lot of trial and error, I have got the solution of this Release version problem. On my computer, whenever I use to run 'ElasticNodes' example from QtDemo.exe then it runs fine & when I run that same exe ('ElasticNodes') from clicking on it from Windows Explorer it is not running as per expected.

So when I copied my QT app's exe into Qt's bin folder & then executes from bin dir. then it runs fine. So I changed PATH variable & set QT's bin dir. path at very first position (i.e. PATH=C:\Qt\bin; %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\Sy stem32\Wbem;<other paths> ). Now it works fine.

It might be because of some Release version DLLs clashing with other path’s present in PATH variable.
    Last edited by nileshsince1980; 8th April 2010 at 06:33.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi All

I got the exact cause for Release version. I had installed MIKeTex 2.8 which intern installs Qt's some Dlls ( I dont know how ? but the DLLs are find in MIKTEx2.8 bin's dir. are QtCore4.dll, QtGui4.dll, QtScript4.dll, QtXml4.dll) into its bin folder. and in my PATH variable MIKTex2.8's bin dir. path is stored before QT's bin dir. path.

So for Release version my QT app used to take DLLs from MIKTex2.8's bin dir rather than QT's bin dir.

Thanks,
    Nilesh