Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intro - Warning: BBBOORRRIINNGGG!!!!!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Intro - Warning: BBBOORRRIINNGGG!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by McToo
    I salute you, sir! There was me thinking I was the oldest!
    I didn't see your age? Talking about ages, I wonder what aniversery of her 21st birthday did Katrina last celebrate?

'she who must be obeyed'
    So you married a Greek Goddess too, eh?

My wife has well established my creditials as the "Family Idiot". She had me wrapped around her little finger since I first saw her in the lunch line in college in 1960!

My hobby is using computers to create calculus models of physical events. Part of my consulting business was criminal forensics - using math to compute trajectories of bullets, impact damage to the body, and other tidbits of murder investiagations because of my training in anat&phys, biochem, etc. But, that stuff got too depressing so for that and because my wife requested it, I stopped doing that stuff.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

My name is Katrina and I am one of the all-too-few female programs out there!
    Damn right about that one!
    So bring your (girl) friends over

Cheers
    theLSB.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGeek
    So you married a Greek Goddess too, eh?

My wife has well established my creditials as the "Family Idiot". She had me wrapped around her little finger since I first saw her in the lunch line in college in 1960!
    I met mine while waiting on the platform for the last train home! I never usually caught the train as I rode a motorbike, but a wet road and a driver with questionable driving qualifications had put the steel stallion in bike doctors and I was reduced to using public transport.

I hit the big 4-0 last year, I think I'm around the same age as your son!

My hobby is using computers to create calculus models of physical events.
    I was glad to leave calculus behind at Uni...

Back to work. Have a good 'un!

McToo
    It's always a long day, you can't fit 86400 into a short!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Cool Re: Intro - Warning: BBBOORRRIINNGGG!!!!!

Talking about ages, I wonder what aniversery of her 21st birthday did Katrina last celebrate?
    LOL I really am 25. My uncle started teaching me BASIC at the young age of 5 on a Tandy COCO 3 (which rocked back then, it had 256k RAM!) Between 6 and 10 I also aquired a TI 99/4A and a Timex Sinclare (complete with the "printer" which looks like a modern reciept printer and the 16k ram module)
    I remember all too well saving things to tape and hoping that it worked so you didn't waste all that time (My sister and I were home schooled and I even wrote a small (small by modern standards...big when you are typing basic line by line) program for my mom to make tests for us when I was 8)

My big break came when I was 11 and was given a Tandy HD 1000 (a 8088 with 384k RAM and a 10mb hard disk) by a friend of my parents who had gotten a new computer; my uncle then introduced me to QBasic and gave me a 1200bps modem. (I spent a fortune calling BBS's long distance lol)
    around 13 I started trying to learn C with varied results. When I was about 15 I learned LPC and then the C lightning bolt hit me. Eventually (around 20y/o) I gave up my anti-object-oriented stance and learned C++ and most recently Java. There were a few other languages in between those that I learned, although I have all but forgotten some of them (z80 ASM for instance)

Katrina

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

It may just be nostalgia.... but I loved mt TI-99/4a. I think I still have two at my parents house somewhere....

Now I have to go look for them. Oh well, free food from my mom when I stop by anyways

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I started programming on a Sinclair ZX80 back in 1980
    I have a ZX81 hooked up to a tiny TV on top of my monitor... just in case any museums put a bid in
    So the RAM pack is meant to be that loose? I thought it just got jolted somewhere.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Snifff...

Am I the only young man here???

My bio is much shorter and maybe less interesting but, well...
    What if I become famous someday??? You could make a lot of money by selling it to journalists!!!

I started by learning C, at 10 when my father got interest in it for his job.
    I didn't understand it well and stopped coding for a whole year!
    Then, I played a bit with HTML, JavaScript and the revelation came ...

My parents gave me a TI-84+ calculator, I began my "career" by writing Scientific programs and then games in a basic like languages. Then I discovered that asm was avaiable on TI-8x calcs and I immediatly started learning z80 asm. It was quite hard to "think asm" but I produced some interesting and rather fast programs. But I have fastly been fed up with typing thousands of lines of code to get half a working program and GFX limitations drove me mad so I came back to C and C++.

I made some stuffs using Gtk+ and Irrlicht but the true APOCALYPSIS (revelation, for non-latinist) was the discover of Qt4!!!

Not too bored ???

Here is the story until then. pfuu... 6 years of coding summed-up in 12 lines!!! I impresses myself!!!

edit: fixed a typo
    Current Qt projects : QCodeEdit, RotiDeCode

Qt products
    Qt3
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by katrina
    going from 'procedural' to 'object oriented'
    Katrina

Try going from 'procedural' to 'declarative'... and then back...

Mariane

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetalcoder
    Snifff...

Am I the only young man here???
    I'd consider myself a young man at 24 :P

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Unhappy Re: Intro - Warning: BBBOORRRIINNGGG!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by theLSB
    Damn right about that one!
    So bring your (girl) friends over

Cheers
    theLSB.
    If I had a single female friend who knew C++ I would LOVE to! but, alas, they are hard to come by :-(

Katrina

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Talking Re: Intro - Warning: BBBOORRRIINNGGG!!!!!

[QUOTE=fullmetalcoder
    My parents gave me a TI-84+ calculator, I began my "career" by writing Scientific programs and then games in a basic like languages. Then I discovered that asm was avaiable on TI-8x calcs and I immediatly started learning z80 asm.[/QUOTE]

I remember sitting in calculus programming my TI calculators instead of paying attention lol (could be why I failed the first time)
    I still have: 2 TI-82's 2 TI-85's and my TI-92+(I bought the +upgrade module the day it came out) I also had a TI-86 which I bought the day it came out! LOL (not sure what happened to it though?)
    I still use my 92+ on a regular basis and carry a 85 in my laptop bag :-)

Katrina - Way too geeky for her own good

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

If I had a single female friend who knew C++ I would LOVE to! but, alas, they are hard to come by :-(

Katrina
    That they are... I ended up meeting a girl who understood computer geeks though... her dad is a coder and a linux guy. When we first started dating, her dad gave her three questions to ask me that were little C and linux trivia questions... like what handles the logins for the command line ftp client, a question about a particular type of variable, etc. He didn't do it to harass, just for fun Lucky for me, my gf has a working knowledge of linux. She surprised me with "where did you hide gaim?" and "don't you use firefox? I don't like konqueror".

PS: If you were a TI-86 fan, I got mine too early... an all too confused sales guy at a walmart or something took a TI-86 out of the back before it was set to be sold, and I got mine very early. As a result, I had written a boatload of articles on the 86's assembly..later stolen by this guy Cyber Optik. I wouldn't have minded if he gave me credit.

Anyways, its always good seeing some female coders. Theres been a drop in the number of female engineering majors in recent years, with many young women (about our age and a little younger) feeling that computers and such were a "guys thing". I'm also impressed by everyone here and their responses, since the typical leg-humper tends to scare away any user that admits she's female.

Well.. back to work I suppose, I've got a school to design...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Ah you children!
    My first programming was in 1970 on an Olivetti Procrammable Calculator 101.
    Next Dartmouth basic on an HP-9830 ( i think );
    Next Assembler & basic on an Olivetti M30, a Zilog 8002 cpu using PCOS as os. ( 1980 or 1981 )
    All this pre Bill Gates
    Then Assembler ( printer drivers for graphic output on dot-matrix printers) and basic in DOS
    Next C
    Next C++
    MDL for add functionality to MicroStation's graphic program
    Next Visual Basic
    NOW!!! Ubuntu/Kubuntu linux,
    Qt3 designer for screen layouts,
    Qt3 for program ( rewriting designer code ) &
    KDevelop for editing and debugging.
    I started with KDevelop 2. but could not make the switch to KDeveiop 3. (age I guess). Designer is great for screen layouts and getting a program started, but I felt more comfortable with straight code, so I wrote code equivalent to the .ui code from designer. I had much trouble with "ddd" and "gdb" so I imported my Qt code into KDevelop where editing and debugging (which I need) are trully great.

All of this programming is for the design & production of precast concrete elements for buildings.

I find the "Signal - Slot" mechanism to be a major advance in controlling progam. I have no "enum"s or "externs" in my program.

Katrina, it is 2006 and you list your age as 25. In 2010 will you still be 25?
    Last edited by impeteperry; 18th January 2006 at 17:47.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by impeteperry
    Katrina, it is 2006 and you list your age as 25. In 2010 will you still be 25?
    Nope. In November of 2010 I turn 30 :-)

Katrina

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Nope. In November of 2010 I turn 30 :-)

Katrina
    Unless yqu change your profile, you will still be 25.

Well in 2 months I will be 80 and still trying to learn somthing new every day. I hope in 55 years you will too.

I think this thread is one of the more enjoyable on the net. you all are great!.

Good Luck

pete.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Unless yqu change your profile, you will still be 25.
    No, it will be corrected automagically.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Designer is great for screen layouts and getting a program started, but I felt more comfortable with straight code, so I wrote code equivalent to the .ui code from designer?
    Yeah, I use designer pretty much to make a mock-up of a program, then go back and write the whole thing in straight code. Having had a lot of Java experience I tend to do things overly object oriented, so I find it even more flexible doing it that way than using designer for the actual application.

Katrina

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

I think this thread is one of the more enjoyable on the net. you all are great!.
    Maybe I should change the title to Intro - Warning: IIINNNTTEERREESSTTINNGG!!!!

;-)

Katrina

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Yeah, I use designer pretty much to make a mock-up of a program, then go back and write the whole thing in straight code. Having had a lot of Java experience I tend to do things overly object oriented, so I find it even more flexible doing it that way than using designer for the actual application.

Katrina
    I 'm trying to achieve the exact opposite...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

But Designer generates a minimal code, you can't do better than that, and additionaly you get ui/logic separation. It is not Java, you know Designer is meant for rapid ui development and integrates very well with the rest of the framework, so I see no point in not using it. If you write your ui code manually it won't be smaller or faster. The only difference is that with Designer you have to inherit/include the ui definition class (so one additional inheritance/object), but one can't treat it as an overkill.

I know not using any GUI-tools seems more "hackish", but hacking is about easing ones life and that's what's Designer for. Since Qt 4.1 Designer is quite usable, so why not use it?