Thread: CAD GUI Framework

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default CAD GUI Framework

We are in the process of developing a Qt-based GUI framework for CAD kind of applications that provide a full integration of OpenGL and Direct3D rendering using plugin architecture.

The framework is highly customizable to our clients needs.

Currently it offers the following:

Multiple views embeddable through the Designer. You can place a rendering canvas on a form, dialog, using the Designer or code.

Rendering calls are abstracted from the main application logic. The entire rendering engine is highly extensible. Switching APIs (OpenGL or D3D) is a matter of one liner.

Supports of editable 2D and 3D vierws, where a canvas can be assigned a different view type dynamically.

This framework requires licensing. If you are interested please let me know.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: CAD GUI Framework

Quote Originally Posted by qtoptus View Post
    ... for CAD kind of applications ...
    Can you please explain this a little bit further?
    I'm very interested in programs like Autocad, Inventor, SolidWorks, Catia, ... and BIM software on linux.

Do you have a site where I can find more information?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Currently the project is still under development. The main goal is to create an extensible framework that provides the following functionality:

1) Rendering views that can be added, positioned and adjusted using the Designer. The views can be either OpenGL or Direct3D whatever version since these are merely plugins/drivers that implement a common graphics abstraction layer. We decided not to use the built-in Qt OpenGL functionality.

2) Editable 2D graphs that can be assigned to views. This allows for constructing a model representation in 2D whose elements can be manipulated. This includes automated selection mechanism for these 2D entities and manipulation such as moving, dragging, right click options...etc. The views offers standard scene navigation controls.

We have not yet decided on licensing types until we finish the project. I will keep you posted. I will provide screenshots of work in progress as soon as possible.

However your feedback and feature requests are more than welcome as this can help us improve the project and add more functionality before its release.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60

I'm also very interested in this subject. I'm a cad user, and I miss it in linux or in Mac. I have a intellicad based software license wich is more afordable than Autocad, however I not satisfied with the quality, it's much slower and buggy. I have some friends who are programmers and I'm trying to create a small team to develop a 3D cad based in Qt and Opengl. So far I only have a line drawing program but I'm trying to create a modular and structured based software. I am starting this project also because I miss some features in Autocad (or in Autocad clones like intellicad's), for example, like in CorelDraw, where copying, rotating and moving objects is much simple, time saving and user friendly. Another thing it's annoying me, I have Windows Vista and to me it seems it's very bloated and slow with graphic software so I stuck with Windows.

I am interested in this Framework, actually this is what I am lookfing for. Any recent status of this project? Thanks!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Sorry for the long delay. The project is still a work in progress, and undergoing a massive design. Unfortunately there's currently no dedicated website or a demo you can experiment with. As soon as I finish the basic functionality, then I will provide a link to a host site for the project where you can check out the progress of the work.

Currently the basic components and functionality I have in mind are the following:

(1) Embeddable Rendering Control which serves as a canvas for 2D and 3D drawings. The control provides streamlined drawing capabilities which are abstracted on top of graphics driver. the implementation of the control can be specified at run-time to either OpenGL or Direct3D. This control is accessible from the Designer as a normal GUI component which can be positioned and re-sized.

(2) Viewports which represent the core functionality of the rendering view, which can be a 2D graphics editor or a 3D scene rendering view. Viewport objects can be mapped to different rendering canvases and share the same context when required. Basic viewport types are to be supported including a 2D editor which provides a rendering, selection, and entity manipulation mechanisms.

(3) GUI-View-Model Communication Layer. It represents the communication layer between the model and the views. The interaction of user with viewports and various GUI panels and the model is made transparent and decoupled.

Your feedback and suggestions are very important. I would appreciate what I call "concept code" that shows what and how you expect to use such an API.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60

Has a Cad user, I have some sugestions. Viewport seems to be very popular, but I dont use it anymore, changing between them is slow. Interactive graphic comands IMHO should be like autocad clone. Every decent cad user should be familiar with autocad, and has a user I dont want loose time learning yet anothet cad. Please make a software that's really fast, I usually work with short deadlines, and sometimes late at night when I am so very tired, and I get very frustated if I have to wait 2 or 3 second for a zoom to end. Some extra functionalities like Coreldraw move and copy command would be great. what the hell are the autocad developers thinking ? This corel commands I mentioned are so much easier, faster and efficient to draw. Good luck with your work. Oh and has a cad user I really dont care if its OpenGl or Direct3D, I want it to be FAAAAST (corel zoom, panning and moving suck by the way)

I would like to have import function for the first release, either IGES or DXF is fine. Also who are the Framework's users? Qt developers or CAD end user? If it is targeted for developers, what kind of license is planned? Qt developer like license?

Thanks for your effort, and looking forward to the first beta release.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Well I think I was unclear. The framework is actually an SDK targeting developers of CAD applications.

Licensing is now too early to decide on. At this stage I expect feedback from developers of CAD programs who can suggest features and functionality.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60

Do you have some more information?

(e.g.: API snapshots, rendering examples etc.)