Thread: confige QCreator to see QString in debugging with mingw (debugging macro)?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default confige QCreator to see QString in debugging with mingw (debugging macro)?

I use QtCreator with mingw (gcc 4.5.0). The only way I can look into a QString "foo" is to manually add it to the watch window and edit it to "foo.toAscii()" and open that variable structure to show d and *d and then the data array. I configure the debugging in the options menu under debug.
    It doesn't matter if I use gdb.exe (v 7.1), or the gdb-i686-pc-mingw32.exe that comes with the creator and it doesn't matter if I switch the debugging helper macros on or off (C:\Qt\4.6.2\qtc-debugging-helper\debug\gdbmacros.dll).
    Is it sufficient to check the checkbox use debugging macro's in the option menu, or do I have to ad the dll to my project? Or do something else? I googled and looked in this forum but can't find it.

thanks.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: confige QCreator to see QString in debugging with mingw (debugging macro)?

Qt Creator 2.0 and later does not use the compiled version of the debugging helpers anymore on Windows, so C:\Qt\4.6.2\qtc-debugging-helper\debug\gdbmacros.dll is irrelevant. It uses some Python scripts in shared/qtcreator/gdbmacros/*.py instead.

Without seeing the debugger log it's hard to say what's going on.

However, gcc 4.5.0 has some _really_ bad bug in debug information generation, see http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=44645 to a degree that makes it unusable for debugging. And that's on top of http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=44731 that's haunting users also in 4.4.x.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: confige QCreator to see QString in debugging with mingw (debugging macro)?

thanks for the warning. I now use the mingw that comes with the creator 2.0.1 install that is 4.4.0
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
    Without seeing the debugger log it's hard to say what's going on.
    How do I generate one?
    cheers

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

The contents of the right pane of Windows->Views->Debugger.