Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Qt on Android - where is Qt own effort in it?

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Default Re: Qt on Android - where is Qt own effort in it?

You probably heard, that Apple recently relaxed their SDK agreement, (probably out of concern regarding antitrust investigations). So some major blockers were removed. (There is still a limitation on Apple WebKit for downloaded scripts, but not for local anymore, so QtScript should be legit. Of course in the end it's up to their store approval to decide, but we are talking about legal concerns of using their SDK, not about approval itself. I.e. it may be legal, but not approved, for example because of some side reasons. In such cases one can use Cydia app store for example, etc.

Here is an example of what they changed:

OLD:
    3.3.1 Applications may only use Documented APIs in the manner prescribed by Apple and must not use or call any private APIs. Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs (e.g., Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited).
    NEW:
    3.3.1 Applications may only use Documented APIs in the manner prescribed by Apple and must not use or call any private APIs.

I don't think I saw this mentioned but qt will be on meego. As someone else said Nokia is competing with android. I think Nokia said they wont release an android handset. Also it would be more of google's job to support qt on androd.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

They are just afraid of losing control of there own platforms. For example, some other company comes along, establishes a de facto standard cross-platform software platform on top of the original manufacturers own. Everyone starts using it. Then it's upto the cross-platform-sdk manufacturer company to keep that cross-platform sdk up to date, so in effect, they are now controlling what developers use.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

There is an alternative to porting Qt to iOS and Android - port them to Qt. To clarify, if Qt contained abstraction veneers and perhaps a bit of help from moc (or a new preprocessor) to provide substantial iOS and Android support in generic code then when you intend to write a portable mobile app you make an effort to use those veneers and preprocessor functions and a small subset of "proper" Qt. On a desktop system, those veneers just translate to the "proper" underlying Qt classes, but on mobile devices they translate to suitable iOS and Android calls. Veneer source-code suitable for use in the iOS and Android SDK would be provided for inclusion in ports to those systems.

You would not be able to just cross-compile to another platform (partly because of language incompatibilities, device differences, and licensing restrictions) but hopefully the porting and maintenance effort might be reduced to mostly cut-and-paste and minor patching. I know it's not ideal, but considering the difficulty of providing the alternatives might it not be a possibility?

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

I think all platforms which have NDK potentially allow a Qt port. Since unfortunately Nokia has its own internal restrictions, it's up to community to generate enough interest for ports to happen. (It would be really great if Qt would be managed by an independent neutral foundation, but hey, Nokia already did a great thing - opened Qt under LGPL in the first place, which is already a lot).

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded Qt Jambi
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

There is Necessitas suite for dev. to Android:

Hello,
    After I've downloaded Android SDK and Android NDK and I've created AVD Android 2.2 API level 8
    and I've installed Necessitas tool for building and deploying Qt applications to Android OS I've assigned Android NDK toolchain version as arm-linux-androiddeaby-4.4.3

I've putted Qt version and Android SDK and NDK versions in Qt Creator options I've got android directory with shell java files created as in the videos only when launching as root.
    But the problem is when I build Qt project ( with android directory created in project folder's root ) I get following error both on root and user login:

Assembler messages:
    Fatal error: Invalid -march= option: `armv5te'
    in main.o

Does anybody know why that message ( error ) ? What is the problem? Why it can't be built?
    Thank you very much. I will try to help here too.