Thread: Qwt designer plugin for the new 2.0.0 Qt Creator (4.6.3 SDK version)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Question Qwt designer plugin for the new 2.0.0 Qt Creator (4.6.3 SDK version)

Hi.

So I'm trying to make Qwt widgets show up in the designer view in the newest stable Qt Creator. They build without error (mingw, release), I place all the files in the directories (dlls, libs, etc...) and they just don't show up! Like they are ignored or something. (I've red that's because QtCreator is compiled with MSVS and the files don't work with each other? Wtf, dll is a dll, I've tried compiling source of the QtCreator in mingw with no success. Same with 4.7rc1)

Is there any way to this?

Thanks for help.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Qwt designer plugin for the new 2.0.0 Qt Creator (4.6.3 SDK version)

You can check the thousands of similar threads, but in the end it is always an individual compilation/installation problem on the user side.

A short checklist:

1) Edit qwtconfig.pri
    2) Build in release mode
    3) Use make install ( no manual copying )
    4) The designer plugin needs to be in a directory, that is read by the creator
    5) The path to the Qwt dll needs be in the PATH variable

On Windows you have more traps ( debug/relase, dllimport/dllexport ) and no concept of a distribution at all. I will never understand, why it is common use ( don't know about you) to ignore the installation offered by the package and to prefer to copy files around manually.

Uwe

3. The following user says thank you to Uwe for this useful post:

er453r (13th September 2010)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Qwt designer plugin for the new 2.0.0 Qt Creator (4.6.3 SDK version)

Thank you for this checklist.

So I've done the following:

1. Edited qwtconfig.pri (changed INSTALLBASE to the current Qt dir, set CONFIG to += debug_and_release += build_all)

2. Build with qmake (qmake qwt.pro ; make)

3. Installed with make (make install). That helped a lot, copied almost all the files where they should be (except libqwt_designer_plugin5.a which I copied manually just to be sure, maybe it's not required?)

4. Added qwt.dll to the path.

And again big nothing... Back in the times when designer was a standalone application I've never had a problem with this.... The most frustrating thing is that nothing even shows up in the plugin info view (the old designer listed errors if something was wrong, now - nothing)

Any other ideas?

Edit:
    This seems to be a compiling problem! I've managed to get the plugins into the QtCreator but there is a Qt library error: expecting "windows msvc release full-config" recieved "windows mingwrelease full-config". So why the Qt site says:

Quote Originally Posted by Qt official web site
    *Based on MinGW (download sources) tool set. Does not support VS compiler.
    Strange.
    Last edited by er453r; 13th September 2010 at 14:28.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

That is how it works:

1. QtCreator is not build with mingw, it's build with msvc. Someone even reported the stupidity to Nokia : http://labs.trolltech.com/forums/topic/1068
    2. Download QtCreator sources and build them in release mode
    3. Overwrite SDK QtCreator files with build files
    4. Overwrite dlls in bin folder with dlls from qt/bin folder - so they're compatible with the newly build QtCreator version
    5. Now your Qwt plugins work without a problem!

Yeah, I've wasted only this whole day for this :/