i basically use const char *charArray="/*some chars*/;

for example for the alphanumeric button 2 the corresponding char array is:

charArray2greek="αβγά2" (= alpha,beta,gama,alpha with stress, two)

the reason i used const char is so i can declare whole arrays like above but have the ability to point to just one character.. basically a timed counter counts the number of clicks on each button while cycling through each character in the button's corresponding charArray. then when the user stops clicking a character is picked and output on a label. now when i use greek that character is not shown on the screen, instead i get "??????".

moreover i get the same problem if at runtime i try to set the Text (to smth in greek) of a button. for example on the keypad i also have a button to switch between greek and english.. the text on the button is "Language: English".(in greek with greek characters). now once i press the button the language is switched and the text should also be changed to correspond to "Language: Greek".. well that does not happen.. ie at design time i can input greek characters properly in the text field of a button and of a label but at run time this does not seem to work...

so i am trying to get this utf8 thing straight...
i tried using unicode numbers to write the strings "language: English" and Language: Greek"
it looks basically like: languageButton->setText(tr("\0393\03BB\03CE\03C3\03C3\03B1\003A\0 00D\0395\03BB\03BB\03B7\03BD\03B9\03BA\03AC"));

i thought that wouldmight work.... but then again it does not.. i get the code itself appear on the button.
should i perhaps use smth else instead of tr? shouldi write in unicode or use simple greek characters directly input from the keyboard?

thank you all for your help
nass