Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Qt related questions and thoughts about getting job

Hi

I've got some Qt related questions and thoughts about getting job. Now I've got such "mini plan":
    1. Learn English much deeper than now.
    2. Start new program specially for showing from zero.
    3. Find companies that can be interested in me as programmer.

This leads to some questions that I can't answer now:

1. Language (is English enough for the first time)?
    2. Does companies want to hire someone from abroad? (I'm from Ukraine, want to work in Europe, preferably Scandinavia.).
    3. What kind/complexity of program I have to create? (I've heard about 1K lines long, but what about complexity and area? Any suggestions?)

I just want to create something like guide to follow and think that there are a lot of people that much experienced in questions like this. Thank you.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Qt related questions and thoughts about getting job

None of your questions are easy to answer, or possible to answer in a definite way.
    Your English ability is hard to be estimated from a post in a forum.
    It looks like you can formulate what you want to say, so I guess if you can offer real good programming skills, this will not prevent you from being hired.

However, you are not going to be accepted to work based on one application you can show, even if its complex.
    (what do you expect as answer to "complexity level"? how can you evaluate that in words?)
    Specially if you are not an educated Eng.
    It is possible to get work as non Uni. educated Eng. but then you have to show and prove lots of experience and relevant knowledge.

Finding work abroad is a complex matter, depending where you are coming from and to where you want to go, your skills and how badly programmers with your skills are needed/available in the region you want to go to.
    I don't how things are for Russian work seekers in Scandinavia.
    But again, the better (more professional) you are, the less all other parameters will pose a problem.
    Last edited by high_flyer; 25th January 2006 at 19:03.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks for answers.

Quote Originally Posted by theLSB
    None of your questions are easy to answer, or possible to answer in a definite way.
    That's why I ask here :-)

However, you are not going to be accepted to work based on one application you can show, even if its complex.
    (what do you expect as answer to "complexity level"? how can you evaluate that in words?)
    The problem is that "complexity" is very subjective. I wanted to say "program is good enough". But what is "enough"? It's depends and subjective too :-)

... but then you have to show and prove lots of experience and relevant knowledge.
    Understood. What exactly can be considered as "relevant"? It's subjective too :-)

Finding work abroad is a complex matter, depending where you are coming from and to where you want to go, your skills and how badly programmers with your skills are needed/available in the region you want to go to.
    1. I'm from Ukraine, but have a chance (little) to become a citizen of Estonia (Eesti), they are in EU. Can it help me?
    2. What does it seem to be more popular in 1-2 years? (I mean technology).

Now it's clear that all is undefined and can be whatever it can. Funny!!!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Understood. What exactly can be considered as "relevant"? It's subjective too :-)
    No this is not subjective.
    'Relevant' is what is relevant to the job you going to do.
    If you are going to program with Qt under windows, then relebant would mean, strong knowlege of Qt and a good knowlege of windows and it would not hurt to know mfc,wtl,atl, winapi, just as an example.
    If you need to create database applications, the relevant experiance and knowlege of various databases is important and relevant.
    And so on...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thank you. Now it's much clearer.