Hi,

Thanks a lot to both of you, especially tbscope for your instructions. I will definitely try to reorganize my code along those lines, though I probably can't get to it right away. It sounds more elegant than what I'm doing now. But as for what 'thd->WriteToProc(qb)' does, do I understand it? What level of understanding do you have in mind? thd is a pointer to a MyWorkerThread instance, '->' means 'access the member of', qb is a QByteArray, and WriteToProc is a member function of MyWorkerThread that sends qb to the auxiliary process using a QLocalSocket. 'emit WriteToProc(qb)' is essentially the same thing if the connection is a Qt:irectConnection (according to Qt documentation), but if it's a Qt::QueuedConnection then something like an event is generated which is processed within the receiver's event loop when it is ready. About Qt's implementation of signals/slots I know virtually nothing.

Understand that the QThread class by itself is NOT a different thread.
Right. I probably haven't had this clear in my mind. Though moveToThread(this) does kind of let you get away with not making that distinction--which is probably why I've seen you discourage that here and in other places wysota. Thinking about it more, it does seem like my way of doing it is conceptually mistaken or at least sub-optimal, compared to what you guys have described here. But basically on the new way, all of the methods and data members currently in my QThread subclass will go into the QObject subclass you described in 2). Googling moveToThread(this), the top post is a former QtCentre thread of mine asking about this very issue--Lol!! That's where the technique was suggested to me in the first place. NB, this guy

http://thesmithfam.org/blog/2009/09/...reading-in-qt/

does moveToThread(this), but this guy

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/06/17/...oing-it-wrong/

hates it for what sounds like the same reasons.

Anyway, none of this answers my initial question but I guess after I reorganize things that won't matter.

Matt