Thread: Keyboard shortcut event not received

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Default Keyboard shortcut event not received

I have a custom subclass of QGraphicsScene that executes a context menu. The context menu works, but I can't seem to receive any keyboard shortcuts for it. Here's a simplified example of my code.
    Qt Code:
    1. MyScene::MyScene(QObject *parent) :
    2. {
    3. m_contextMenu = new QMenu();
    4. QAction *action = m_contextMenu->addAction(tr("Duplicate"), this);
    5. action->setShortcut(tr("Ctrl+D"));
    6. connect(action, SIGNAL(triggered(), this, SLOT(duplicateSelectedItem()));
    7. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

The duplicateSelectedItem() slot never gets called. How do I ensure the keyboard shortcut events get propagated to this action? I got the impression this would happen when the QGraphicsView gets focus, but clearly it can't figure out that the actions I've created in the scene are in focus. If it makes any difference, I'm testing this on OSX. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Keyboard shortcut event not received

Look that the menu is in no way tied to the graphics view so pressing keys when the view has focus will not lead towards the appropriate actions. In your situation it is best to build the context menu differently. Instead of creating a custom QMenu object and adding actions to it, use the Qt::ActionsContextMenu context menu policy and use addAction() to add the actions directly to the view widget. Then all the shortcuts will be active the whole time the widget has focus and in addition if you right click the view, a context menu made of actions you added to the widget will be created for you. If you don't really want the context menu, just the shortcuts then don't set the context menu policy to ActionsContextMenu and only add the actions to the widget.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

3. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

D Cell (15th December 2010)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Thanks. I got your suggestion to work. I also had to set
    Qt Code:
    1. action->setShortcutContext(Qt::WidgetShortcut);
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    since I have more than one instance of the view. Otherwise I got an error about an ambiguous shortcut.

For future reference, is it not possible then to receive keyboard shortcuts on anything except widgets? Is calling QWidget::addAction(...) the only way to setup the keyboard shortcuts to propagate correctly?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by D Cell View Post
    For future reference, is it not possible then to receive keyboard shortcuts on anything except widgets? Is calling QWidget::addAction(...) the only way to setup the keyboard shortcuts to propagate correctly?
    The action has to be tied to something that is currently visible. It is possible to hack a global shortcut support by catching shortcuts in the application object and triggering appropriate actions manually but it's not available out of the box.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.