Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Best' Qt strategy for loading/saving user settings (esp. for QTreeView)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Question 'Best' Qt strategy for loading/saving user settings (esp. for QTreeView)

Hi,

When the user starts my application for the first time, I load some default settings. Then, upon exiting, I save the user settings which I reload the next time round.

Now, I was wondering what is the best way to do this in a Qt application. I currently save the user settings by overriding closeEvent(). The idea is that the GUI is still visible at that stage which allows me to properly save the user settings.

I am, however, facing problems with the loading of the user settings, especially with those related to a QTreeView-based widget. Basically, I have some kind of a file browser within my application and the first time the user starts my application, I would like my QTreeView-based widget to have its columns resized to their contents, but then allow the user to resize them manually if s/he so desires (and save that information in the user settings). At the same time, I want to keep track of the folder/file that is currently selected and, the next time, the user starts my application have my QTreeView-based widget point to that folder/file.

My understanding is that in order to do this, I would need my QTreeView-based widget to be visible. This means that I clearly can't do that in the constructor of my GUI class, or even QTreeView-based widget class. I therefore thought that I could do something similar to overriding closeEvent(), i.e. override showEvent() and have a static boolean that would be used to handle the loading of the user settings. Unfortunately, that approach doesn't work with my QTreeView-based widget. I just can't get the headers to autoresize or the folder/file to be scrolled to properly. In fact, this is not quite true, I have got things to work by displaying a dialog box just before doing to the autoresizing or scrolling, and it was fine, but I clearly don't want to have to display a dialog box to get things to work. So, it seems to me that my problem is that the GUI takes some time to become visible which means that I can't properly load the user settings.

So... what is the 'best' strategy to load/save user settings that require the GUI to be fully visible? I wish there was some kind of startEvent() method (i.e. the exact opposite of closeEvent()) which I could override...

Cheers, Alan.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: 'Best' Qt strategy for loading/saving user settings (esp. for QTreeView)

have you looked at QSettings?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: 'Best' Qt strategy for loading/saving user settings (esp. for QTreeView)

Quote Originally Posted by schnitzel View Post
    have you looked at QSettings?
    Yes, I am already using it and finds it very convenient indeed. This is not the issue though. My issue is that there are settings which I want to keep track of and restore, and some of those settings require my application to be fully visible. To store the settings, it's simple, I just override closeEvent(), but to load them I have yet to find something that works properly. I tried showEvent(), but that doesn't work for things I need to do with QTreeView for example. So... what could work?...

Thanks
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by agarny View Post
    I tried showEvent(), but that doesn't work for things I need to do with QTreeView for example.
    Why not ?
    Is your tree built after app reached showeEvent() ?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by totem View Post
    Why not ?
    Good question and question to which I would very much like to get an answer!

Is your tree built after app reached showeEvent() ?
    Well, clearly not, since for example scrollTo() doesn't work as expected when called from within showEvent(). It seems to me that QTreeView needs a bit more time to fully initialise itself which might explain why showing a dialog box just before calling scrollTo() makes scrollTo() to work...

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Android

I have got things to work by displaying a dialog box just before doing to the autoresizing or scrolling, and it was fine
    Have you tried to qApp->processEvents(); instead of displaying dialog box ?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by stampede View Post
    Have you tried to qApp->processEvents(); instead of displaying dialog box ?
    Yes, I did at the time, but to no avail. I am going to revisit all of that today though and will see how it goes.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Please provide a test case where scrollTo() doesn't work as expected.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    Ok, I am busy with a couple of other things right now, but will try to come up with a test case as soon as possible. Who knows, it might actually help me figuring out what is wrong with my code, if anything...

Thanks
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

It seems to me that QTreeView needs a bit more time to fully initialise
    Then try to detect the end of this loading process, and load you settings right after ?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Then try to detect the end of this loading process, and load you settings right after ?
    I have tried that too (by having a while loop with qApp->processEvents(); in it -- yes, it was a quick and dirty way of testing things at that stage), but to no avail. What I did, if I recall correctly was to test for QTreeView to be visible, but that didn't quite work as I expected (I seem to remember that things were hanging up, but I might have something wrong back then, can't remember for certain).

Thanks
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Indeed a loop on processEvents() does not seem clean
    If you have a treeview, you must have an associated model (or you meant treewidget?)
    Try to catch a signal from this model, indicating it finished to load its data; if you don't find such signal, try to implement something equivalent. Then you read treeview settings, after its data has been updated

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Indeed a loop on processEvents() does not seem clean
    Well, I did warn you...

If you have a treeview, you must have an associated model (or you meant treewidget?)
    I do indeed have an associated model (a QFileSystemModel object).

Try to catch a signal from this model, indicating it finished to load its data; if you don't find such signal, try to implement something equivalent. Then you read treeview settings, after its data has been updated
    I am not aware of any such signal. I did, however, try to 'play' with the expanded() signal, but again to no avail.

Anyway, I am nearly done with what I needed to do, so I should soon be able to resume that aspect of my work.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

As i understand your problem not in settings your problem in show/hide some properties of widgets. You can do save to file (as txt) your needed widgets as boolean or in integers (with specific values) then when your program opens read them from file and show/hide needed widgets.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by meyrambek View Post
    As i understand your problem not in settings your problem in show/hide some properties of widgets. You can do save to file (as txt) your needed widgets as boolean or in integers (with specific values) then when your program opens read them from file and show/hide needed widgets.
    Sorry meyrambek, but I believe you misunderstood my problem. Also, I wouldn't personally recommend using a text file to save my settings. I much prefer to rely on QSettings for this.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

not as txt as xml is more good way

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by meyrambek View Post
    not as txt as xml is more good way
    Please have a look at QSettings and you will see that there is no point in using a text file or even an XML file.

Ok, here goes for a very simple example of what I am trying to do with scrollTo():

QTreeView.pro:
    Qt Code:
    1. QT += core gui
    3. TARGET = QTreeView
    4. TEMPLATE = app
    6. SOURCES += main.cpp
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    main.cpp:
    Qt Code:
    1. #include <QApplication>
    2. #include <QFileSystemModel>
    3. #include <QHeaderView>
    4. #include <QTreeView>
    6. int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    7. {
    8. QApplication a(argc, argv);
    10. QFileSystemModel fsm;
    12. fsm.setRootPath(""); // I.e. access to the whole file system
    15. w.setModel(&fsm);
    16. w.header()->setResizeMode(QHeaderView::ResizeToContents);
    18. w.show();
    20. QModelIndex mi = fsm.index("C:\\Windows\\System32\\zipfldr.dll");
    22. w.setCurrentIndex(mi);
    23. w.scrollTo(mi);
    25. return a.exec();
    26. }
    The idea behind line 21 is that we point to a file which is out of the field of view and should therefore get scrollTo() to scroll down to that file. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me, as shown below:

QTreeView_scrollTo.png
    Last edited by agarny; 22nd February 2011 at 13:31.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I would guess the model index might simply be invalid because the filesystem model takes time to populate itself. Have you tried that with a different model?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

I would guess the model index might simply be invalid because the filesystem model takes time to populate itself. Have you tried that with a different model?
    Sorry, are you saying that mi doesn't contain the right information? If so, then no it does contain the right information, since if I manually scroll down, then I will see the right file selected (as a result of w.setCurrentIndex(mi)).

Otherwise, what do you mean trying with another model? Do you mean something else than QFileSystemModel?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Do you mean something else than QFileSystemModel?
    Yes, that's what I mean.

This works as expected:
    Qt Code:
    1. #include <QtGui>
    3. int main(int argc, char **argv){
    4. QApplication app(argc, argv);
    5. QListView view;
    6. for(int i=1;i<=200;++i){
    7. list << QString("Item %1").arg(i);
    8. }
    9. model.setStringList(list);
    10. view.setModel(&model);
    11. view.show();
    12. view.setCurrentIndex(model.index(100,0));
    13. view.scrollTo(model.index(100,0));
    14. return app.exec();
    15. }