Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Arrow 'qconfig' missing - fonts are messed up

Hello

I compiled Qt 4.7.2 on my Debian 6.0 Squeeze :

./configure -qtkstyle -glib
    make
    make install

I also disabled qt3 support in the config. command that I did not type it there since I dont remember what it was exactly.

It seems everything is compiling and all compiled codes looking beautifully GTK. But :

Skype and VLC fonts are bold and ugly ! It seems they are developed by Qt. I do not have "qconfig" in the /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.7.2/bin ! I checked, it was not compiled ! I did a make there. and copied the qconfig to /bin but it seems not working and ask for features.txt.

It looks wired ?!

I should say that first I compiled Qt 4.7.2 with not GTK options enabled. This was my second compile. The skype and VLC look ugly since the first bad compilation (I just used ./configure with no options).

I have uninstall/installed skype several times no change it still looks ugly. I again mention No 'qconfig' is installed.

Please help me
    The disaster :

Screenshot-VLC media player.png
    Last edited by qtarian; 5th March 2011 at 17:51.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: 'qconfig' missing - fonts are messed up

First of all you are confusing qconfig with qtconfig. Second of all the latter is built only if qt3support is built. Third of all please post the part of your configure log that reports which features will be built into Qt - you probably don't have fontconfig support enabled.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks for your response.

- First time I did not disable the qt3support so I had qconfig. All fonts of Skype and VLC were messed up that time.
    - OK. second time I compiled it -fontconfig and -gtkstyle and I forgot to include it in the earlier post. All was OK with second build. QtDesigner and Demo were looking great.

My main issue is why (the hell ) compiling Qt 4.7.2 should screw up fonts of two other softwares that are already compiled and working !

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by qtarian View Post
    - First time I did not disable the qt3support so I had qconfig.
    It's qtconfig, not qconfig. These are two different tools.

My main issue is why (the hell ) compiling Qt 4.7.2 should screw up fonts of two other softwares that are already compiled and working !
    If the new Qt was in linker path before the old one, all Qt apps linking dynamically to Qt were using the new library instead of the old one.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

OK ! Thanks.

- I remember when I configured Qt with no switches I got 'qconfig' and it indeed worked to change settings. There are directories for both 'qconfig' and 'qtconfig' in 'tools' directory.

- If what you say is working well, I should have got my VLC and Skype fonts looking normal after second configuration and compile with -gtkstyle -fontconfig -glib. But I still have the same ugly looking of those applications.

Now I did not have any other choice to reinstall my Debian distro. again. I did not want to screw this on up so I just left the compiled Qt 4.7.2 uninstalled. Can I use it as it is ? without doing 'make install'; e.g. right now 'assistant' says it can not find dynamic libraries.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by qtarian View Post
    Now I did not have any other choice to reinstall my Debian distro. again. I did not want to screw this on up so I just left the compiled Qt 4.7.2 uninstalled. Can I use it as it is ? without doing 'make install'; e.g. right now 'assistant' says it can not find dynamic libraries.
    If you install Qt to /usr/local, you can add appropriate directories to LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf so that those customized libs are late in the linker search path. /usr/lib should take predecence.