Thread: Upgrading to the latest version

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Upgrading to the latest version

Hi,

I have Qt Creator V4.7.0 installed on my system and have downloaded V4.7.3 (with MinGW just in case). When I come to install it I get the message "There has been a problem with your MinGW installation: g++ not found in c:\MinGW\bin". This doesn't really surprise me as there is no such directory on my system. My current version has the directory at C:\qt\2010.05\MinGW\bin.

I have several questions:

Does this imply that I should have downloaded the version without the extra MinGW environment or is this a problem?

What is the correct way to upgrade to the current version of Qt Creator?

Does the term 'upgrade' really mean 'install a completely new version'? I ask this because the suggested installation directory from the above is different to my current one. Visual Studio (of old) used to simply replace upgraded files in the relevant places.

On the whole, I'd really like to thank the developers and other contributors for this product. I liken it to classic Visual Basic 6 in that it is really easy to get to grips with and applications can be created in a comparitively short time relative to MS VC++. OK, I've had to begin learning a new language (C++ - I'm very old school) but it gives me something to learn.

Thanks,

Ade

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Upgrading to the latest version

Does this imply that I should have downloaded the version without the extra MinGW environment or is this a problem?
    Do you mean by 'this' the error message you get?
    If so, no, it only means you need to set the correct path in your QtCreator settings.
    Of course, if you have MinGW installed already, you don't need to download the bundled version with MinGW, but its not conflicting. You can choose either instance of MinGW to work with (to my knowledge).

Does the term 'upgrade' really mean 'install a completely new version'?
    I'd say yes.
    Unless the change log specifies the DLLs that have been altered/added.
    There might also be changes in the main application too.

Visual Studio (of old) used to simply replace upgraded files in the relevant places.
    So far Qt is very version dependent - what I mean is, they are backward compatible, but to be sure you have all the new features and bug fixes you should try and use the tools with the respected Qt version they came out with, also because these tools might be using new features not present in the older Qt versions.
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.