Thread: How to set pen for a QgraphicsView and let my items use them from painter received ?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default How to set pen for a QgraphicsView and let my items use them from painter received ?

I have a - QgraphicsView- QgraphicsScene - QgraphicsItems schema.
    I have a painter object at QgraphicsView and other at QgraphicsView, I think that it must be the same of course.

Can I set-use the pen of this *painter at my qgraphicsitem paint() or at graphicsview background event ?
    I tried to set the pen inside my graphicsview background event, but it seems to be 'volatile' .

Any idea ?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: How to set pen for a QgraphicsView and let my items use them from painter receive

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but if you mean that you want to set painter properties in drawBackground() and expect them to persist until some item's paint() call then it won't.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: How to set pen for a QgraphicsView and let my items use them from painter receive

As drawbackground paints the background before the items be drawed, I think it can be a good place to say to the painter the global pen width. Depending of the 'zoom' I need to set how many meters have 1 pixel, to draw the width of my polylines rightly. (variable width) (Yes I know the meaning of setwidth to zero and the 'cosmetic' function).
    I need a 'global' way to setup the pen width (and maybe other painter-draw properties). I would not want to set this inside every graphic item.
    So, ....., is there any way to do this ?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by tonnot View Post
    As drawbackground paints the background before the items be drawed, I think it can be a good place to say to the painter the global pen width.
    No, because each item can have a different pen, brush and a bunch of other things. You can override this behaviour by setting DontSavePainterState on the view but then you will have to keep the painter clean yourself.

I need a 'global' way to setup the pen width (and maybe other painter-draw properties). I would not want to set this inside every graphic item.
    You're lazy. Do it properly.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

No, it is not a lazy problem.
    If I have 1 million of items, I think it would be better to set the pen width for the whole million than setting the pen 1 miilion times.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

The zoom should determine the transform for the pen size, there should be no need to alter it per item.