Thread: Licensing project that reuses code from Qt's official examples

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Licensing project that reuses code from Qt's official examples

I'm creating an embedded system for a non-profit organization, and I'd like to reuse some functions from one of the Qt example applications: http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/blobs/...pp/wavfile.cpp How can I do so in compliance with the BSD license?

Must my whole project be released under the same BSD license, or just the class that uses the copied/modified functions?

Do I retain the 3rd item in the list (see above link) as-is? Or do I modify it to talk about my company instead?
    Neither the name of Nokia Corporation and its Subsidiary(-ies) nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

Would things be any different if the system was just used internally within the organization, and never released to the public?
    Last edited by hackerNovitiate; 2nd January 2012 at 03:53. Reason: spelling corrections

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Licensing project that reuses code from Qt's official examples

I am not a lawyer.

The BSD license is fairly clear. You can use the file however you wish but you must retain the copyright and license message as-is in any source code you distribute and in materials accompanying any binary you distribute. It imposes no restriction on the license the resulting program can be released under (unlike the GPL for example).

I would suggest you separate the desired functions into a new file with the original copyright and license information and use that in your program (i.e. keep it separated from any source under a different license). If you modified the BSD source you might add a note to that effect in addition to the mandatory copyright and license information. Add the copyright and license message to a README, LICENSE, COPYING or help file that accompanies the deployed program explaining that it applies to parts of the software.

3. The following user says thank you to ChrisW67 for this useful post:

hackerNovitiate (17th January 2012)