Thread: QT Framework in RHEL 5

Default QT Framework in RHEL 5

Hi,
    I am trying to install QT framework in RHEL 5 machine for TestCoCoon code analyzer tool and got the following error.

I have download the Qt_SDK_Lin32_online_v1_1_4_en.run and run into this machine and got the following error.

./Qt_SDK_Lin32_online_v1_1_4_en.run: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by ./Qt_SDK_Lin32_online_v1_1_4_en.run)

I seacrhed into google and found the solution but could not implement as this change require root permission and I need to justify system people
    for below changes.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...25372&start=15

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ample1-604625/

Is there any possiblity that anyone suggest me compact QT version for RHEL 5 Machine. Please find the below configuration of my machine.
    Please let me know if I need to provide much more info

Linux <machine name> 2.6.18-128.1.1.el5.028stab062.3 #1 SMP Sun May 10 18:54:51 MSD 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: QT Framework in RHEL 5

If you can't use the installer then download Qt's sources and build them yourself.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

if Possible,
    Could you please share the link or steps about to build and configure QT framework in RHEL5 . it will be great help for me. Thanks for your response

Thanks
    Abhi

Added after 16 minutes:

Can I use below code for RHEL5 machine for build up QT framework.

http://get.qt.nokia.com/qt/source/qt...c-4.8.0.tar.gz

Please share me info about build QT framework in RHEL 5 and also code link if the above source code is not correct
    Last edited by agoswami; 19th January 2012 at 06:23.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

There are instructions present in the bundle you downloaded.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Hi,
    I have started build qt framework into my machine by following command.

./configure in linux machine But I am getting following error and not able to fix this issue. I also could not find any useful from google result.

Creating qmake. Please wait...
    g++ -c -o project.o -m64 -pipe -DQMAKE_OPENSOURCE_EDITION -g -I. -Igenerators -Igenerators/unix -Igenerators/win32 -Igenerators/mac -Igenerators/symbian -Igenerators/integrity -I/tmp/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0/include -I/tmp/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0/include/QtCore -I/tmp/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0/src/corelib/global -I/tmp/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0/src/corelib/xml -I/tmp/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0/tools/shared -DQT_NO_PCRE -DQT_BUILD_QMAKE -DQT_BOOTSTRAPPED -DQLIBRARYINFO_EPOCROOT -DQT_NO_TEXTCODEC -DQT_NO_UNICODETABLES -DQT_NO_COMPONENT -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPRESS -I/tmp/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0/mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -DHAVE_QCONFIG_CPP -DQT_NO_THREAD -DQT_NO_QOBJECT -DQT_NO_GEOM_VARIANT -DQT_NO_DEPRECATED project.cpp
    project.cpp:1: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in
    gmake: *** [project.o] Error 1

Could anyone point me to resolve this issue.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Maybe you should pass some options to configure?

Thanks for reply.

I did analysis and found that qt framework is using 64 bit gcc and my machine contain 32 bit gcc which does not support m64 option.

is it possible that we can modify 64 bit gcc to 32 bit gcc in configure script in qt framework or do we have any qt packge which 32 bit gcc machine

g++ -v

Target: i386-redhat-linux
    Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-libgcj-multifile --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,java,fortran,ada --enable-java-awt=gtk --disable-dssi --enable-plugin --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-gcj-1.4.2.0/jre --with-cpu=generic --host=i386-redhat-linux
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

If you want to target a 32bit system then download a 32bit version of Qt.

Hi,
    I got the package which was compatible in RHEL 5 and g++ 32 bit machine. it is install But I am facing issue during the configuration.

When I run /usr/bin/gmake command and got following error. I could not figure out this issue. Could anyone provide me some input.

Package name : qt-x11-opensource-4.0.0-b1 ( Compatible with RHEL5 and g++ 32 bit machine)

hared/ -o .obj/debug-shared/qthread.o thread/qthread.cpp
    {standard input}: Assembler messages:
    {standard input}:95: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `cmpxchg'
    {standard input}:181: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `xchg'
    gmake[3]: *** [.obj/debug-shared/qthread.o] Error 1
    gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/my_project/qt-x11-opensource-4.0.0-b1/src/core'
    gmake[2]: *** [debug-all] Error 2
    gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/my_project/qt-x11-opensource-4.0.0-b1/src/core'
    gmake[1]: *** [sub-core-all-ordered] Error 2
    gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/my_project/qt-x11-opensource-4.0.0-b1/src'
    gmake: *** [sub-src-all-ordered] Error 2

Thanks
    Abhi

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

What's the result of the following commands?

1. qmake -v
    2. uname -a
    3. ldd `which qmake`

Hi,
    Bit surprise I did not find qmake version. Am I doing bigger mistake or missing something.

qmake -v
    bash: qmake: command not found

uname -a
    Linux <Machine Name> 2.6.18-128.1.1.el5.028stab062.3 #1 SMP Sun May 10 18:54:51 MSD 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have download above version and run the configure command (Just FYI if it helps us to figure out some missing thing)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Are you trying to build Qt or build your application using Qt? Also why did you download so old Qt bundle? Why not 4.8.0?

I was trying to build QT AND want to use for TestCoCoon framework. I think I am completely missing something or doing bigger mistake.

Please find the below url which uses qt framework. Can you provide some input

http://www.testcocoon.org/tutorial.html#toc19

Added after 10 minutes:

The reason was to download old version as I have compactiable issue. The new version contain -m64 option which does not support into g++ 32 bit machine
    Last edited by agoswami; 20th February 2012 at 09:43.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Cool Re: QT Framework in RHEL 5

I am in a similar boat, attemping to get Qt 4.8.0 to run on RHEL 5.4 with the same libstdc++ issue.
    The Qt install fails, and Qt Creator, once installed, likewise fails to load due to GLIBCXX_3.4.9
    missing from libstdc++.

There are no RPMs that I am aware of for RHEL 5.4 to update this library, nor to update GCC.
    I am cautious about replacing fundamental files on the platform for fear of generating some
    unknown compatibilities.

My GCC version is 4.1.2, and my libstdc++ version is 4.1.2-52.el5. My libstdc++ supports
    GLIB up to 3.4.8.

If I could upgrade this particular library while maintaining backwards support, that would be
    an acceptable solution. Where would an updated lib be available (for example a more recent
    release of RHEL?) Is there a specific rpm command to get it?

I would prefer to not have to rebuild Qt from the source, I particularly enjoy the Qt Maintenance tools
    to provide binary updates as Qt matures.

If the solution is to simply update libstdc++ to one which supports Qt 4.8 and beyond, that would be something I can
    certainly do, as I control the platform.

However, while this is certainly a point of contention between Qt 4.8 and RHEL 5.4, is this just the
    start of a range of platform compatibility issues?

Assuming I have complete control of the platform and can selectively change out files, what is the
    least invasive procedure to get full Qt support (with the latest binaries) under RHEL 5.4 without
    rebuilding from the source?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I took what I considered the least invasive approach (well at least what I believe to be the least invasive) and replaced the libstdc++ link to the libstdc++.so.6.0.10, version of the library. I got the RPM contained the update to libstdc++ was libstdc++4.3.2.7-i386.RPM off the RPM Pbone site (http://rpm.pbone.net/). After changing the symbolic link to this newer library (which supports GLIBCXX up to 3.4.10), Qt 4.8.0 does now install, and Qt Creator will now execute. This may not be the best solution, but certainly was a quick one. From what I can tell, everything seems fine, but there certainly could be some unintended consequences that are not readily apparent. From I can tell, those startup daemon that used to depend upon the older version of libstd++ (such as hpiod) seem to boot and operate seemlessly with the updated libraries. More research needs to be performed with the GCC tool chain, etc, but so far, so good.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Hello,

I am having a very similar issue to bob2oneil below. I first attempted to install the 32-bit version of Qt 4.8.0 on RHEL 5.4. The installation completed successfully, but when I tried to link my application against Qt, I got GLIBC-related errors.

I therefore attempted to build Qt with the version of GCC and GLIBC installed on my system. The "configure" step was successful, as expected. However, during the "gmake" step to build the sources, I ran into the following error:

gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/net/bengsh01/users/patelja3/QtSDK/QtSources/4.8.0/tools/qdoc3'
    gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/net/bengsh01/users/patelja3/QtSDK/QtSources/4.8.0/tools'
    cd translations/ && gmake -f Makefile
    gmake[1]: Entering directory `/net/bengsh01/users/patelja3/QtSDK/QtSources/4.8.0/translations'
    /net/bengsh01/users/patelja3/QtSDK/QtSources/4.8.0/bin/lrelease assistant_cs.ts -qm assistant_cs.qm
    /net/bengsh01/users/patelja3/QtSDK/QtSources/4.8.0/bin/lrelease: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by /net/bengsh01/users/patelja3/QtSDK/QtSources/4.8.0/bin/lrelease)
    /net/bengsh01/users/patelja3/QtSDK/QtSources/4.8.0/bin/lrelease: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /net/bengsh01/users/patelja3/QtSDK/QtSources/4.8.0/bin/lrelease)
    gmake[1]: *** [assistant_cs.qm] Error 1
    gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/net/bengsh01/users/patelja3/QtSDK/QtSources/4.8.0/translations'
    gmake: *** [sub-translations-make_default-ordered] Error 2

Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to change the version of libstdc++.so.6 at this time. Do you know of a way around this? Also, why is the 32-bit version of Qt attempting to access 64-bit libraries?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Jay

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Just to add some closure to my experience, the upgrade to libstd++ seems reliable. However, I did have to rebuild the Qt libraries to get everything to work properly. There were link issues prior to the rebuild.
    The reubild of the Qt libraries took more than an hour, but was pretty painless - download source, confgure, gmake, gmake install. I now have the RHEL 5.4 platform as a development workstation for Qt 4.8.1 and
    future versions.