Thread: How to draw a Qgraphicsitem on a Qimage?

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question How to draw a Qgraphicsitem on a Qimage?

I have a QgraphicsScene where user can manually add items like reactangles, freehand lines etc (mouse drawing).

I use QGraphicsScene because I want to provide the following functionality:
    After drawing an item, user can drag it around and apply some transforms before it is permanently added to the scene (no more editable)

Now, I want to provide a flood fill function also.
    As you can see, this requires all of the scene to be somehow converted into a Qimage so that I can access the pixels
    (Let me know if there is some way to do this in the Qgraphicscene itself !)

I was thinking it'd be convinient if I could draw each Qgraphicsitem onto a QImage once they are permanently added to the scene (after user does required transformations). So when the floodfill is invoked, I can simply access this QImage and do the processing!
    Can this be done?

( As I have said, using Qgraphicscene is required for above mentioned reasons. Hoping to find a way in which I can draw a QgraphicsItem onto an image without implementing the whole (mouse) drawing logic for a QPainter too! )

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: How to draw a Qgraphicsitem on a Qimage?

It's possible that you can do flood fill by composing all relevant items in the scene into QPainterPath. Otherwise, if you want to go through QImage, you can call QGraphicsScene::render() on a painter opened on QImage to render the scene there.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    It's possible that you can do flood fill by composing all relevant items in the scene into QPainterPath.
    Could you elaborate a bit more on this part?
    Determining the flood fill area will require accessing the pixels, right? Or you are implying that I can do it by analyzing the scene items in some other way?

Otherwise, if you want to go through QImage, you can call QGraphicsScene::render() on a painter opened on QImage to render the scene there.
    I have to rule out rendering the scene, because there might be some 'floating' items at any given time. (As I mentioned above, they are still editable by the user and may not be in their finalized position. And I certainly don't want them to affect the floodfill area!)

And I suppose, there is no real solution the actual question (draw a Qgraphicsitem on a Qimage) ?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by eternalthinker View Post
    Determining the flood fill area will require accessing the pixels, right? Or you are implying that I can do it by analyzing the scene items in some other way?
    If all items can be represented by paths then calculating the flood area is a purely mathematical operation of intersecting path segments.

I have to rule out rendering the scene, because there might be some 'floating' items at any given time. (As I mentioned above, they are still editable by the user and may not be in their finalized position. And I certainly don't want them to affect the floodfill area!)
    Then hide them before calling render(). However I think going through QImage is a really inefficient idea.

And I suppose, there is no real solution the actual question (draw a Qgraphicsitem on a Qimage) ?
    The real solution is to use render().
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I am thinking about two options here:

1)
    As you suggested, represent all items as paths and find proper intersection to determine the fill area.
    (Although I'm not exactly sure how to find a closed intersected path around a given point if one exists, or to determine the case when one doesn't exist)

2)
    Override the paint() method in an extended QGraphicsItem, and use a QImage inside this item. So all painting basically happens on this QImage.

Also, remember that the user can create free hand lines. Assuming they try to sketch drawings, there might be a large number of tiny paths on the scene.

Considering these, which of the above two options do you think is more efficient for floodfill?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

1)
    As you suggested, represent all items as paths and find proper intersection to determine the fill area.
    (Although I'm not exactly sure how to find a closed intersected path around a given point if one exists, or to determine the case when one doesn't exist)
    I'd start by looking at QPainterPath API.

2)
    Override the paint() method in an extended QGraphicsItem, and use a QImage inside this item. So all painting basically happens on this QImage.
    I really don't see the point of doing anything like that.

Also, remember that the user can create free hand lines. Assuming they try to sketch drawings, there might be a large number of tiny paths on the scene.
    Tough luck.

Considering these, which of the above two options do you think is more efficient for floodfill?
    Certainly calculating intersections is faster than checking each pixel of the image.

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Certainly calculating intersections is faster than checking each pixel of the image.
    Okay, thanks a lot for the insight !

I'll start implementing it in terms of pathItems. Let there be paths

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I'd start by looking at QPainterPath API.
    Yes yes, I am aware of the 3 or so intersect* methods available for QPainterPath.

I was rather talking about the base logic in finding paths starting at a coordinate.

On first look, the logic seems to be along the same lines of usual floodfill, ie, starting at the point and propagating in all directions until any paths are encountered.
    We might have a long list of paths.
    To determine whether *any* path goes through a coordinate, I really don't see a method other than iterating through *all* paths! (At all points)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Paths don't intersect if their bounding rects don't intersect so you don't have to check all paths, only those that have a chance of intersecting. If you do that in a clever fashion by checking intersections as you are adding paths (instead of checking everything in one go when you want to do a fill), you can greatly limit the amount of checks required. Besides, QPainterPath has more useful methods than just checking intersections.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

@thinker: I am not clear on exactly *what* it is that you want your users to be able to flood fill - the graphical items they have added, the background, what? You should think about composing your scene in layers, by using the z-value property of graphics items. Items with a higher z-value will clip items with lower z-value (ignoring transparency for now), so in essence the scene will do all of the work needed to calculate intersections and such. Whatever you want to flood fill should have a lower z-value than the things on top.

I agree with Wysota - you are going about this totally backward if you think that -you- need to convert your scene to an image and do all the work of filling flooded areas yourself. All the tools are there in the Graphics / View architecture, you just need to learn how to use them.

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by d_stranz View Post
    @thinker: I am not clear on exactly *what* it is that you want your users to be able to flood fill - the graphical items they have added, the background, what?
    Think about flood filling in a typical drawing application - this case is just the same.

So users might draw circles, rectangles, and free hand curves which are not closed.
    And a flood fill might fill a complex closed shape made by free hand lines, or leak out of an open shape and fill the whole background.

And user might really click anywhere, not just on the lower z valued items. May be on the very lines themselves!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Does the fill create a new object or modify existing ones?

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Does the fill create a new object or modify existing ones?
    It can be done either way, depending upon what supports the logic better.
    The aim here is just to create floodfill. So a new object can be created if required!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

There's a fundamental difference between the two. If you don't care about it then maybe you shouldn't be using graphics view at all? If you're just after raster painting then there are no benefits in using graphics view and you can reduce your implementation to a widget displaying QPixmap/QImage.

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

There's a fundamental difference between the two. If you don't care about it then maybe you shouldn't be using graphics view at all? If you're just after raster painting then there are no benefits in using graphics view and you can reduce your implementation to a widget displaying QPixmap/QImage.
    As I have mentioned in the question, the most recent item is editable by the user.
    ie, it can be dragged around, resized and rotated before the final permamnent version is drawn.
    I thought this could be easier to implement with QGraphicsView

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

As I have mentioned in the question, the most recent item is editable by the user.
    ie, it can be dragged around, resized and rotated before the final permamnent version is drawn.
    I thought this could be easier to implement with QGraphicsView
    That doesn't require graphics view. Nevertheless my question still stands -- if your fill is to create a new "most recent item" that is to be "editable by the user" then it is much different from filling an existing item or canvas.

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

That doesn't require graphics view. Nevertheless my question still stands -- if your fill is to create a new "most recent item" that is to be "editable by the user" then it is much different from filling an existing item or canvas.
    Actually 'editable' apply to only a selected few items in the application. This excludes floodfills and freehand lines.

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

And I suppose, there is no real solution to the actual question (draw a Qgraphicsitem on a Qimage) ?
    The real solution is to use render().
    It IS possible to code a method of the form: QImage.addItem(QGraphicsItem), which in this case is the answer to my original question.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Is it a question or a statement?

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Is it a question or a statement?
    Statement. I capitalized the 'IS' to avoid that ambiguity