Thread: What are the bare minimum libraries I need to install to use PySide?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Default What are the bare minimum libraries I need to install to use PySide?

I'm including Qt in a large software project. I thought that if I just built the libraries and not the SDK it would save me from filling up my hard drive with a bunch of unnecessary junk, but when I build the Qt libraries it takes up a ridiculous 12 gigabytes of space, and after doing "make install" the resulting /usr/local/Trolltech folder is only 700 MB. When I do "./configure -help" it doesn't really give me enough information to know what options to set to do a minimal build. I'm the only person on the project who might ever need to use whatever development tools come with Qt; everybody else just needs to be able to get my Python code up and running with PySide on OS X. How should they configure it so they can build it using the least possible time and space?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: What are the bare minimum libraries I need to install to use PySide?

Those 12GB come from temporary/object files created during compilation. You can run make clean after the build to get rid of them. The set of libraries required depends on the functionality you need in PySide.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Default Re: What are the bare minimum libraries I need to install to use PySide?

We just need to be able to create all the standard GUI widgets and an OpenGL canvas. What matters the most is that the rest of the team can get it up and running as quickly as possible, but I don't want to just blindly exclude as much from their installations as I think I can get away with and then find out that they are missing some necessary components.

There's simply no way I can believe that it's necessary to fill up that much space with temporary files. But software development is all about running into situations that are impossible to believe...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by colonel_panic View Post
    We just need to be able to create all the standard GUI widgets and an OpenGL canvas.
    So you need QtCore, QtGui and QtOpenGl plus image plugins if you want to handle other formats than png.

There's simply no way I can believe that it's necessary to fill up that much space with temporary files.
    Believe it or not but that's the truth. QtWebKit is the one taking most space. And you're probably building them in both debug and release modes.

Why don't you just install a binary bundle instead of compiling Qt on your own?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.