Thread: Server design questions

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Server design questions

Hi everyone! I want to write a server program in Qt, and I would like to ask for some advice before I get my hands into coding.

The idea is: there will be clients, running in final user's computers, behind firewalls, routers, etc... I want to be able to communicate with this clients through a web page (send a request and receive a response). Obviously, the web server can't connect directly to these clients.

What I'm planning to do is write a server program, let's call it "proxy"; clients will connect to it and say "Hi! I'm client #X, here is my auth data, validate it and I'll stay connected to you ok?". When a user enters the web and want to retrieve any data from a client, the web server will connect to this "proxy" and send a message like "Tell client #X to send me this data". The "proxy" will send that message to the connected client, wait for the response and send the response back to the web server.

I hope I've been able to explain the idea right. So, here are my questions:

- First of all, is this design correct? Is there anything already out there that does what I need? I don't want to reinvent the wheel

- After reading a lot of posts here about server networking, I'm planning to write it without threads, using the asynchronous socket functions of Qt. Is there any way to know how many clients I can serve with this approach? In case I reach this limit, what should I do? Span another server process using another port, create some threads and divide the clients amog them? Maybe even another machine?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Server design questions

Obviously, the web server can't connect directly to these clients.
    No, but the clients can connect to the server and once connected data can flow both ways.

You planning to write a HTTP proxy server, and you don't think you are reinventing the wheel?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Server design questions

Well yes, I thought about proxy servers but what I need it's not that, I need a web server to connect to a program in an user computer, only when a request to the web server is made. Thus, I need the program in the user computer to be available all the time. What a proxy server does is:

- Receive a request from user.
    - Retrieve the requested data.
    - Send it to the user.

What I need is:

- A user loads a web page.
    - The web server requests some data from another user's computer.
    - The web server shows the data to the first user in a web page.