Thread: 'Pop' at start of sound playback using QAudioOutput

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default 'Pop' at start of sound playback using QAudioOutput

I'm having an issue playing a simple 'wav' file using QAudioOutput. Previously I used the QSound::PlaySound() to play the same wav and it worked fine, however I wanted a bit more control (mainly stop, pause, resume). However when I play the sound (any wav file) using QAudioOutput I get a 'pop' noise at the start of every sound. This did not occur with the QSound::PlaySound().

I've tried tweaking the QAudioFormat, but no luck there. I did basically just copy the code from the QAudioOutput help documents, with the exception that I determine the QAudioFormat by the WAV file's header. Note that I've also tested setting the QAudioFormat manually so I'm fairly confident the error is not there.

So basically when I want to play my wav file, I create a new SoundPlayer object, passing it the filename as a QString. The sound is played once the object is constructed.

SoundPlayer Constructor

Qt Code:
    1. SoundPlayer::SoundPlayer(QString fileName, QWidget *parent) :
    2. QWidget(parent)
    3. {
    4. this->inputFile.setFileName(fileName);
    5. this->inputFile.open(QIODevice::ReadOnly);
    7. QAudioFormat format = getWaveFormat(fileName);
    8. format.setCodec("audio/pcm");
    10. this->audio = new QAudioOutput(format, this);
    12. connect(audio, SIGNAL(stateChanged(QAudio::State)), SLOT(finishedPlaying(QAudio::State)));
    14. //play the sound file 'inputFile'
    15. audio->start(&inputFile);
    17. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: 'Pop' at start of sound playback using QAudioOutput

Well once again with this forum I find myself having to answer my own question. Anyway after finally going back to look at this problem again I realized my previous mistake. I was reading the header of the sound file to get the format, that part was correct. However once I passed the QFile onto QAudioOutput I was starting at byte 0. So it was trying to interpret all the header data as sound samples, hence the 'pop'. Anyway the actual 'DATA' starts a bit after the header, so in the constructor I now seek ahead to the data marker 'data' and then skip over the next 4 bytes after that (the subchuck2 size info). And voila, no more popping!

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Hi semajnosnibor. I'm having the same issue with the 'pop' sound. I'm not that experienced with Qt, so do you still have the code to share it? just the part where you modifies the constructor to seek the data marker. This will be very helpful for me.

Thanks!

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Took some digging but I found it. Hopefully this works for you. The modification was actually within the 'getWaveFormat' function. It basically reads all the necessary format info from the wave file header, and then sets the play start position of the file.
    Basically when you want to play the file, create a new object of SoundPlayer with the filename as an argument. The sound will play automatically, and should emit the signal 'soundDone()' when done.

ex:
    Qt Code:
    1. SoundPlayer *sPlay = new SoundPlayer(fName, this); //sound will start playing automatically
    2. connect(sPlay, SIGNAL(soundDone()), SLOT(soundDone())); //delete the sPlay object when done
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Probably the SoundPlayer code could be optimized quite a bit. I only focussed on getting it working, then when I did I happened to move on to another project (typical!).

Cheers,
    James
    Attached Files Attached Files

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android

Hello. Can you upload the math.h/.cpp too? Thank you a lot!!