Thread: Treeview/treewidget to hold list of websites

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Treeview/treewidget to hold list of websites

Hi,

Can someone please give me a starting point on how to create a treeview which is kinda like IIS Manager

Capture.PNG

So the main items are the list of websites, and every item has directory structures (from file system) under every website's root documents .

I am totally lost at the model/view/delegate concept.

I will be watching this thread for any reply since i have nowhere to ask this question.

Thanks.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Treeview/treewidget to hold list of websites

There's two ways of doing this in Qt. One is using an "item-based" approach where each folder/subfolder is its own object and you're responsible for creating them.

Check out QTreeViewWidget ( http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qtreeview.html ) to see how you could do it this way.

The second way is a bit more odd. The basic idea is you implement functions saying "hey, how many items do it have" (row count) and "What are they called?" (data) given the parent node (i.e. folder) in the tree. Once you have that information, it will only be requested when when it's needed (i.e. when you open up a folder, it'll look up what stuff's underneath it and create the items automagically). This is more the MVC approach and you'd QAbstractItemModel and re-implement all the virtual functions that have no default implementation in order for this to work. The good news is that once you have the model, all you need to do is create a QTreeView and hand it the model and you're done. In practice, I generally find this approach better and simpler, but less accessible to newer Qt users. ( http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/QAb...ItemModel.html )

Hope this helps Oh and don't worry about delegates. Really, the only thing you need to understand for your example is how your model works. You shouldn't need anything else custom to do this.

3. The following user says thank you to Agnostic Pope for this useful post:

doniking (17th May 2012)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

@Agnostic Pope :
    How do I save the values (root dir, listen ip, port, etc) on each website items ?
    Do i still need to use QDirModel for the dir structures below each website items?

Thank you!
    Last edited by doniking; 9th May 2012 at 18:10.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

i think i will get the root dir , ip, port in real time from the config files.

Another question, how do I add the QFileSystemModel as the child of each items?