Thread: Looking for easy to learn from Qt SOAP examples, and did I install Qt SOAP correctly

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Looking for easy to learn from Qt SOAP examples, and did I install Qt SOAP correctly

Hello, at work I'm using Windows 7, Creator 2.4.1, and the below Qt SOAP add-on.

I will have a new Commercial license in the near future! Is this the right area to get help.

I'm looking for a real simple SOAP example project and/or a few projects that I can run. Hopefully, they will work perfectly. I want to study them and build my own projects based on them.

Yes, I know that the SOAP library is no longer supported by the original developers. (Could you please explain to me how this will affect my SOAP code in the future.)

Anyway, I tried the below google example but it did not work! This example also comes with the Qt SOAP add-on tar file. There's also an easter and population example in the tar.
    http://doc.qt.nokia.com/solutions/4/...e-example.html

I'm guessing, but the settings in the example's code are probably wrong for at least my PC. I determined this after I stepped through the code with the debugger and saw a non-existant path. When I ran the google example and entered values, it would always display "Query failed: XML parse Error" (which is a string in the project's code).

I downloaded the add-on from the below site and followed the install.txt file. I seemed to have difficulty with using make on the Makefile. There were a number of makes on my system (in downloaded Qt code) and I tried them all. Finally, I ended-up just opening the add-on examples.pro file in Creator. This brought up the GUI when I compiled and ran it. I noticed that the configure.bat file (a step in the install.txt file) just sets an environment variable.

Did I do something wrong in the installation of the Qt SOAP add-on, and can you walk me through the correct installation. I'm looking for all the detail that I can get. And, steps that are easy to repeat.

I downloaded the Qt SOAP add-on from:
    http://qt.gitorious.org/qt-solutions.../master/qtsoap

FYI: In the google example, I'm not worried about the Google API license because the code will accept any non-empty string.

Thank you,
    Chris
    P.S.: The Tools, Options, Build and Run menu option said I can use \QtSDK\mingw\bin\mingw32-g++.exe. I don't know if I compiled with that though! Below is what is on my Qt compile window.

15:43:54: Running build steps for project examples...
    15:43:54: Configuration unchanged, skipping qmake step.
    15:43:54: Starting: "C:\QtSDK\mingw\bin\mingw32-make.exe"
    cd google\ && C:/QtSDK/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f Makefile
    mingw32-make.exe[1]: Entering directory `C:/QtSDK/qt-solutions-qt-solutions-master/qt-solutions-qt-solutions/qtsoap/examples-build-desktop-Qt_4_8_1_for_Desktop_-_MinGW__Qt_SDK__Debug/google'
    C:/QtSDK/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f Makefile.Debug
    mingw32-make.exe[2]: Entering directory `C:/QtSDK/qt-solutions-qt-solutions-master/qt-solutions-qt-solutions/qtsoap/examples-build-desktop-Qt_4_8_1_for_Desktop_-_MinGW__Qt_SDK__Debug/google'
    mingw32-make.exe[2]: Nothing to be done for `first'.
    mingw32-make.exe[2]: Leaving directory `C:/QtSDK/qt-solutions-qt-solutions-master/qt-solutions-qt-solutions/qtsoap/examples-build-desktop-Qt_4_8_1_for_Desktop_-_MinGW__Qt_SDK__Debug/google'
    mingw32-make.exe[1]: Leaving directory `C:/QtSDK/qt-solutions-qt-solutions-master/qt-solutions-qt-solutions/qtsoap/examples-build-desktop-Qt_4_8_1_for_Desktop_-_MinGW__Qt_SDK__Debug/google'
    cd population\ && C:/QtSDK/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f Makefile
    mingw32-make.exe[1]: Entering directory `C:/QtSDK/qt-solutions-qt-solutions-master/qt-solutions-qt-solutions/qtsoap/examples-build-desktop-Qt_4_8_1_for_Desktop_-_MinGW__Qt_SDK__Debug/population'
    mingw32-make.exe[2]: Entering directory `C:/QtSDK/qt-solutions-qt-solutions-master/qt-solutions-qt-solutions/qtsoap/examples-build-desktop-Qt_4_8_1_for_Desktop_-_MinGW__Qt_SDK__Debug/population'
    mingw32-make.exe[2]: Leaving directory `C:/QtSDK/qt-solutions-qt-solutions-master/qt-solutions-qt-solutions/qtsoap/examples-build-desktop-Qt_4_8_1_for_Desktop_-_MinGW__Qt_SDK__Debug/population'
    mingw32-make.exe[1]: Leaving directory `C:/QtSDK/qt-solutions-qt-solutions-master/qt-solutions-qt-solutions/qtsoap/examples-build-desktop-Qt_4_8_1_for_Desktop_-_MinGW__Qt_SDK__Debug/population'
    cd easter\ && C:/QtSDK/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f Makefile
    mingw32-make.exe[1]: Entering directory `C:/QtSDK/qt-solutions-qt-solutions-master/qt-solutions-qt-solutions/qtsoap/examples-build-desktop-Qt_4_8_1_for_Desktop_-_MinGW__Qt_SDK__Debug/easter'
    mingw32-make.exe[2]: Entering directory `C:/QtSDK/qt-solutions-qt-solutions-master/qt-solutions-qt-solutions/qtsoap/examples-build-desktop-Qt_4_8_1_for_Desktop_-_MinGW__Qt_SDK__Debug/easter'
    mingw32-make.exe[2]: Leaving directory `C:/QtSDK/qt-solutions-qt-solutions-master/qt-solutions-qt-solutions/qtsoap/examples-build-desktop-Qt_4_8_1_for_Desktop_-_MinGW__Qt_SDK__Debug/easter'
    mingw32-make.exe[1]: Leaving directory `C:/QtSDK/qt-solutions-qt-solutions-master/qt-solutions-qt-solutions/qtsoap/examples-build-desktop-Qt_4_8_1_for_Desktop_-_MinGW__Qt_SDK__Debug/easter'
    15:43:55: The process "C:\QtSDK\mingw\bin\mingw32-make.exe" exited normally.
    Last edited by ChrisL1234; 4th June 2012 at 21:57.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Looking for easy to learn from Qt SOAP examples, and did I install Qt SOAP correc

The "population" example seems to work fine. Others are probably outdated.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Looking for easy to learn from Qt SOAP examples, and did I install Qt SOAP correc

Going to the folder via the Command Prompt and entering "population.exe spain" partially works (see bottom).

To get this to partially work, I had to copy the file mingwm10.dll from my C:\QtSDK\mingw\bin\ folder. If I copy it and the file libgcc_s_dw2_1.ddl in all the folders in and around population.exe I have to run it from the Command Prompt because there doesn't appear to be a form for it. I also ran the Visual Studio nmake.exe program. I say it partially works because it complains about a QPixmap.

So, I have to try to find out where should these two dot ddls live.

Without copying these files, I get System Errors.

Basically, I downloaded the tar file, extracted its contents, opened/built the population.pro file in Creator which gave me the population.exe.

Where should I download/install the add-on.tar file to? Should it live some where under Qt's installed files.

What should I do. Does anyone have better examples

Anyway, this is what I have so far:

C:\QtSDK\qt-solutions-qt-solutions\qtsoap\examples\population\debug>populat ion.e
    xe spain
    QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
    Looking up population of spain...
    Spain has a population of 47,043,000 (last updated at 2012)

Thanks for the help,
    Chris L.
    Last edited by ChrisL1234; 5th June 2012 at 20:48.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL1234 View Post
    I say it partially works because it complains about a QPixmap.
    Population complains about pixmaps? Are you sure? It doesn't use any pixmaps.

Where should I download/install the add-on.tar file to?
    You don't have to install it anywhere. It's not a shi**y Windows application. Just build it and use it.

What should I do. Does anyone have better examples
    Why do you think some other example will tell you how to install the component? What's wrong exactly with this example? Example of what do you want at all?

QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
    Looking up population of spain...
    Spain has a population of 47,043,000 (last updated at 2012)
    I don't know what you did with that example. It doesn't use any pixmaps and if I remove the link to QtGui and change QApplication to QCoreApplication, the program still works.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.