Thread: How to find out which network interface is used to communicate with specific IP

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default How to find out which network interface is used to communicate with specific IP

Hi all,

Recently I came across a problem with my software in a multi-NIC environment. The problem I have is, that I would like to find out the network interface (actually just it's IP), that is used when communicating with a specific external IP. Let's say my host has two NICs, one (call it eth0) is set to 192.168.1.100 and the other (eth1) to 10.11.12.13, and routing on the host is set that 10.0.0.0 goes over the 10.11.12.13 interface while all the other traffic goes over the 192.168.1.100 interface.

What I would like is a pseudo

QString MyIP=MyNIC_IP(ForeignAddress);

which would return '192.168.1.100' for a ForeignAddress 'www.google.com'
    and '10.11.12.13' for a ForeignAddress '10.20.30.40'

... but can't seem to get a proper idea as to how to do it. Any hints/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: How to find out which network interface is used to communicate with specific IP

How would you do that without using Qt?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: How to find out which network interface is used to communicate with specific IP

You can determine which interface the operating might use by querying the system routing tables and looking for the least cost* route that would apply to your destination and protocol (IPv4, IPv6 or something more exotic). You could start at GetIpForwardTable() on Windows or the /proc/net/route pseudo-file on Linux (also see man route).

* for whatever metric the operating system concerned might apply

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    How would you do that without using Qt?
    On a windows environment, I'd create a connection to the desired address, then do a 'GetTcpTable', find the MIB_TCPROW that corresponds to the connection, and get the dwLocalAddr from the row structure. Now, as I'd like to have an 'OS-agnostic' solution (thus the move of my app from MFC to QT), I hoped that QT might have some functionality which would allow me to do the same.

Added after 5 minutes:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW67 View Post
    You can determine which interface the operating might use by querying the system routing tables and looking for the least cost* route that would apply to your destination and protocol (IPv4, IPv6 or something more exotic). You could start at GetIpForwardTable() on Windows or the /proc/net/route pseudo-file on Linux (also see man route).

* for whatever metric the operating system concerned might apply

I was really hoping not to have to 'parse' the routing table. In a way I was looking for something like a 'GetTcpTable' (see my other reply), where all the routing is already done by underlying OS. In the end though (if no proper QT solution can be found), I might have to write specific implementations of the function for all supported OS-es, which, of course, I'd really like to avoid if possible.
    Last edited by Buldozer; 2nd July 2012 at 07:51.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by Buldozer View Post
    I hoped that QT might have some functionality which would allow me to do the same.
    Qt is an application development framework, not a swiss army knife.

Unfortunately /proc/net/route will not work on any system that is not using a static routing table. Moreover with bonded interfaces there is no answer to your question at all. And even custom firewalling rules might influence the final interface that is used to send/receive packets and there is nothing you can do about it.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.