Thread: QGraphicsItem and signals

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question QGraphicsItem and signals

I have a silly problem...
    i just wanted to know what item was selected from the scene. For this I tried using signal from the class(derived from QGraphicsItem) but seems I cannot add signals to the subclass I also tried remaking the .pro but of no use.

I would like to know if we can emot signals from a class derived from QGraphicsItem or not ?

I know the other method around for this prob... get the items on mouse press and get the required item , but was just curious for the question above

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: QGraphicsItem and signals

Quote Originally Posted by aamer4yu View Post
    i just wanted to know what item was selected from the scene. For this I tried using signal from the class(derived from QGraphicsItem) but seems I cannot add signals to the subclass
    You can, just inherit from both QObject and QGraphicsItem and make sure QObject is mentioned first in the inheritance list. And remember about the Q_OBJECT macro.

I would like to know if we can emot signals from a class derived from QGraphicsItem or not ?
    Yes, if you also inherit QObject

I know the other method around for this prob... get the items on mouse press and get the required item , but was just curious for the question above
    How about just using QGraphicsScene::selectedItems()?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks...

How about just using QGraphicsScene::selectedItems()?
    Well I am not selecting the items based on rubberbanding... just need to pick item from mouse press... so i guess items() will also do isnt it ?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by aamer4yu View Post
    Well I am not selecting the items based on rubberbanding... just need to pick item from mouse press... so i guess items() will also do isnt it ?
    Yes, but is it worth it? I'd simply make items selectable using QGraphicsItem::ItemIsSelectable and then query for items selected - you'll get a much shorter list resulting in a faster application. But maybe you can simply use QGraphicsItem::mousePressEvent() and handle the interaction there? It would be best this way... There is no need to call either items(), selectedItems() nor a mouse press from the scene then.