Thread: Best Way To Implement "Remember Me" Feature?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Best Way To Implement "Remember Me" Feature?

Hello!

First post here! I'm hoping maybe you could help me with a few suggestions. I'm making a login for my client application, but I want to implement a feature to remember the users credentials. This feature would require that the client automatically fill in the users username and password. I could store it in a text file and simply read it when the application launches, but I was hoping maybe there was a better way. This application will primarily run on Windows.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Best Way To Implement "Remember Me" Feature?

QSettings is designed to hold small pieces of configuration information like this.

With passwords you generally have the added requirement to encrypt the data before storage. Depending on security requirements this encryption could range from none through to full strength encryption (AES for example). You need a reversible encryption to allow recovery of the password for the third-party system (that means embedding some sort of key into your program: a security weakness). There is nothing in Qt that does this part for you.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default [SOLVED] Best Way To Implement "Remember Me" Feature?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW67 View Post
    QSettings is designed to hold small pieces of configuration information like this.

With passwords you generally have the added requirement to encrypt the data before storage. Depending on security requirements this encryption could range from none through to full strength encryption (AES for example). You need a reversible encryption to allow recovery of the password for the third-party system (that means embedding some sort of key into your program: a security weakness). There is nothing in Qt that does this part for you.
    Chris,

Thanks for your response. I have implemented it as a QSettings feature and encrypted the password using SimpleCrypt. As the documentation states, it's far from the perfect solution, but it clears up the problem of storing the password in clear text (plus it's stupid easy to implement).

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: [SOLVED] Best Way To Implement "Remember Me" Feature?

Quote Originally Posted by xyz247 View Post
    encrypted the password using SimpleCrypt. As the documentation states, it's far from the perfect solution, but it clears up the problem of storing the password in clear text (plus it's stupid easy to implement).
    Instead of that "encryption" you can as well use QByteArray::toBase64(). It provides a similar level of "security" as this SimpleCrypt stuff without claiming to be encryption.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.