Thread: Cannot setup tool chain to build...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Exclamation Cannot setup tool chain to build...

Hello.
    I am running Qt Creator 2.4.1 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and am trying to build a project.
    However, when I click the Run button, I get an error in the Issues panel saying:

:-1: error: Qt Creator needs a tool chain set up to build. Configure a tool chain in Project mode.
    So I went to the Projects section, and noticed that the "Tool chain:" field was greyed out with the text "<No tool chain selected>".
    So I clicked the "Manage" button right next to that field which brought up a dialog box showing a list of Auto-detected compilers, one of which was MinGW (see attachment).
    So I selected that one, clicked Apply and then Ok, but noticed that the "Tool chain:" field hadn't changed one bit. It still said "<No tool chain selected>".
    Next, I downloaded the latest version of MinGW, deciding to give that a shot instead of the one which came with the Qt SDK, and so then added the newer version as a "Clone" of the old option which I selected in the Build & Run > Tool Chains section, of course changing the compiler and debugger paths to point to the versions I downloaded (resulting paths being: C:\MinGW\bin\mingw32-g++.exe and C:\MinGW\bin\gdb.exe). But still the same problem!
    I still am not seeing any changes to the Tool chain field, and so every time I try to build the project, I get the same error as above, effectively bringing my project to a grinding halt. So I'm still stuck at the "WTF??" stage, and trying to figure out why Qt Creator is messing up. It seems to be a bug...

Any ideas, anyone??

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Cannot setup tool chain to build...

First set the Qt Versions :-

Qt_Versions.jpg

Go to your Qt installed directory their find this file
    qtsdk\desktop\qt\4.8.1\mingw\bin\qmake.exe and add it to the Qt versions for 4.8.1 and
    qtsdk\desktop\qt\4.7.4\mingw\bin\qmake.exe for Qt 4.7.4.

Then set the tool chains:-

tool_chain.jpg
    Heavy Metal Rules. For those about to rock, we salute you.
    HIT THANKS IF I HELPED.

3. The following user says thank you to sonulohani for this useful post:

Coolname007 (5th October 2012)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Wink Re: Cannot setup tool chain to build...

Quote Originally Posted by sonulohani View Post
    First set the Qt Versions :-

Qt_Versions.jpg

Go to your Qt installed directory their find this file
    qtsdk\desktop\qt\4.8.1\mingw\bin\qmake.exe and add it to the Qt versions for 4.8.1 and
    qtsdk\desktop\qt\4.7.4\mingw\bin\qmake.exe for Qt 4.7.4.

Then set the tool chains:-

tool_chain.jpg
    Hey thanks. You're right. The issue was related to the Qt versions, and so I fixed my issue shortly after posting this thread, and before I read your post.
    I finally noticed that the Qt version that it had automatically set itself to was the MS Visual Studio 2008 one (I believe, though I don't know much about that, because I never used it) instead of the correct one which I forget which one that was, though I remember it was one of the Qt for Desktop ones. Once I did that (and fixed the filepath so that it pointed at the right location), the tool chain no longer was greyed out, and I finally was able to set it to the auto-detected mingw one, which worked perfectly fine (no need to use the manual option).

So I guess there isn't a bug after all. Anyway, thanks again for the reply.

Cheers.