Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fed up with M$ Window$ !!! Why is Tux leaving me alone???

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Fed up with M$ Window$ !!! Why is Tux leaving me alone???

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetalcoder
    Is there another program able to do the same job for free?
    Why do you need windows anyway?

You could try this --- it's only 50 MB, but it contains parted and other usefull tools. If you don't have SATA drives it should work.

Just do backup your data.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by jacek
    Why do you need windows anyway?

You could try this --- it's only 50 MB, but it contains parted and other usefull tools. If you don't have SATA drives it should work.

Just do backup your data.
    Why do I need M$ Window$ ??? What a good question! Maybe I'm not the only user of that damn PC...

What about backuping data... Well... backuping 25Mb (used space only!) is not gonna be easy!!!
    Current Qt projects : QCodeEdit, RotiDeCode

Qt products
    Qt3
    Platforms
    Windows

What about backuping data... Well... backuping 25Mb (used space only!) is not gonna be easy!!!
    Don't have a CD burner? CDs easily fit about 650MB of data, don't you know? 25 Megabit shouldn't be a problem. :P

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by dublet
    Don't have a CD burner? CDs easily fit about 650MB of data, don't you know? 25 Megabit shouldn't be a problem. :P
    Stupid me!

It was 25Gb!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Buy another HD

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota
    Buy another HD
    How many as easy and as cheap solutions do you have ???

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

How many as easy and as cheap solutions do you have ???
    You can always buy a new computer, you know

But seriously, some distros (I guess mostly live cd ones) allow you to install Linux on a Windows partition using a special file as an emulated disk. It'll work slower than using a real partition, but it could be a good start for you to convince "other users" of the machine to switch to a Normal OS (R) too.

And backing up 25GB is not that troublesome. I'm sure you have a friend who can spare you his/her disk for a couple of hours. Dumping the data there, repartitioning your disk and getting it back shouldn't be that hard.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota
    You can always buy a new computer, you know

But seriously, some distros (I guess mostly live cd ones) allow you to install Linux on a Windows partition using a special file as an emulated disk. It'll work slower than using a real partition, but it could be a good start for you to convince "other users" of the machine to switch to a Normal OS (R) too.

And backing up 25GB is not that troublesome. I'm sure you have a friend who can spare you his/her disk for a couple of hours. Dumping the data there, repartitioning your disk and getting it back shouldn't be that hard.
    I tried lots of live CDs (the last one was a debian based distro called Kanotix).
    Some hacks allowed me to make it run from HDD, just using a MS-DOS boot floppy and loadlin. It is fast enough for what I need but there are still some problems :

1) Konqueror does not seem do be able to write anything to my FAT32 HDD
    2) due to the live CD kernel I use, /cdrom is mounted twice (/dev/hda1 is actually considered as a /cdrom because the knoppix image is stored in it!!!) and when I try to manually unmount it says :"device is busy"
    3) Installers got QTParted based partitionner : always fails to resize my FAT32, showing me an empty message box...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11

It has been a while since I've used any non-Gentoo CDs, but last I knew most knoppix and other live CDs have boot time options to load the CD into memory so you can eject the disc. Look for help options during initial boot off the CD or check the docs on it. Each one is different.
    --
    The Real Bill

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Smile Re: Fed up with M$ Window$ !!! Why is Tux leaving me alone???

I did it!!!

My FAT32 HD got resized flawlessly after :

1) running without homedir image located in it
    2) unmounting it
    3) reading QtParted manual

Then I created a new partition and used the Kanotix-installer :
    1) format it with reiserfs
    2) copy the files needed to have a working OS installed
    3) install the bootloader (grub)

The new problem I have is that when I reboot my PC (with /dev/hda2 set as active partition) I get the following message :

"missing operating system"

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

the first thing you can test, is if its only the MSB (master boot sector) that is currupted, or if your partition is damaged.
    To do this, boot with a Linux CD, and boot windows from there.
    I don't how what options gentoo offers, but with any SUSE installation CD you can choose the parition you wish to boot.
    I use it when ever I manage to damage my boot sector in order to boot windows, untill I fix it with the SUSE parititioning tool.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I've already rebooted with the liveCD, set back the FAT32 as active partition and everything worked!!! More troublesome is the fact that the new reiserfs partition isn't readable by Konqui (not even mountable!!!) because :
    - either it is not mentionned in /etc/fstab
    - either it is said to have bad fs or bad superblock

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I finally did it! system installed, grubr overwrote M$ bootloader : everything works!

But how the hell can I setup my internet connection (I'm using a 56k modem) ???

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

We ot a new problem : PQ Magic isn't free! I don't feel like buying a more than 50$ soft that I wouldn't use more than 5 times in my whole life!!!

Is there another program able to do the same job for free?
    Not that I know of.

I guess that narrows your choices to two: parted or QParted, and good luck.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGeek
    Not that I know of.

I guess that narrows your choices to two: parted or QParted, and good luck.
    Hopefully I found an Abexo product who perform a full defrag (removes swap file before) and does that really fast (75% time saved). It's a 5days trialware but was much sufficient for what I needed!
    Then I used QtParted from a liveCD and manged to resize my hd after unmounting it
    Finally Kanotix has a built-in installer that took care of the rest (formatting with reiserfs, copying files, installing bootloader...)

Freedom came, but I can't compile Qt 4...
    It looks like there's some packages missing. Any ideas ???

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/fullmetalcoder/qt/4.1.1/src/gui'
    g++ -c -pipe -g -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -DQT_SHARED -DQT_BUILD_GUI_LIB -DQT_NO_CAST_TO_ASCII -DQT3_SUPPORT -DQT_MOC_COMPAT -DQT_RASTER_IMAGEENGINE -DQT_HAVE_SSE -DQT_PDF_SUPPORT -DFT_CONFIG_OPTION_SYSTEM_ZLIB -DQT_NO_STYLE_MAC -DQT_NO_STYLE_WINDOWSXP -DQT_CORE_LIB -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -I../../mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I../../include/QtCore -I../../include -I../../include/QtGui -I../3rdparty/libpng -I../3rdparty/zlib -I../3rdparty/freetype/src -I../3rdparty/freetype/include -I../3rdparty/freetype/builds/unix -I.moc/debug-shared -I/usr/X11R6/include -I. -o .obj/debug-shared/qapplication.o kernel/qapplication.cpp
    In file included from ../../include/QtGui/private/qt_x11_p.h:1,
    from kernel/qapplication.cpp:51:
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:50:22: error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:55:23: error: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:56:21: error: X11/Xos.h: No such file or directory
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:63:23: error: X11/Xatom.h: No such file or directory
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:252: error: 'Colormap' does not name a type
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:253: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'Visual' with no type
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:253: error: expected ';' before '*' token
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:266: error: 'Window' does not name a type
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:269: error: 'Window' has not been declared
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:270: error: 'Window' has not been declared
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:270: error: 'Atom' has not been declared
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:271: error: 'Atom' has not been declared
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:272: error: 'Window' has not been declared
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:272: error: 'Atom' has not been declared
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:283: error: expected ',' or '...' before '*' token
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:283: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'XSelectionRequestEvent' with no type
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:285: error: 'Atom' has not been declared
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:286: error: 'Atom' does not name a type
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:334: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'Atom' with no type
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:334: error: expected ';' before '*' token
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:336: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'Window' with no type
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:336: error: expected ';' before '*' token
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:338: error: 'Window' does not name a type
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:344: error: 'Time' does not name a type
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:345: error: 'Time' does not name a type
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:371: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'Visual' with no type
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:371: error: expected ';' before '*' token
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:372: error: 'Colormap' does not name a type
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:524: error: 'Atom' does not name a type
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:534: error: 'FocusOut' was not declared in this scope
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:535: error: 'FocusIn' was not declared in this scope
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:536: error: 'KeyPress' was not declared in this scope
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:537: error: 'KeyRelease' was not declared in this scope
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:538: error: 'None' was not declared in this scope
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:539: error: 'RevertToParent' was not declared in this scope
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:540: error: 'GrayScale' was not declared in this scope
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:541: error: 'CursorShape' was not declared in this scope
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:556: error: 'XPoint' was not declared in this scope
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:556: error: template argument 1 is invalid
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:556: error: explicit specialization of non-template '<type error>'
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:557: error: 'XRectangle' was not declared in this scope
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:557: error: template argument 1 is invalid
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:557: error: explicit specialization of non-template '<type error>'
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:558: error: 'XChar2b' was not declared in this scope
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:558: error: template argument 1 is invalid
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_x11_p.h:558: error: explicit specialization of non-template '<type error>'
    kernel/qapplication.cpp: In member function 'void QApplicationPrivate::initialize()':
    kernel/qapplication.cpp:724: warning: unused variable 'q'
    make[3]: *** [.obj/debug-shared/qapplication.o] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/fullmetalcoder/qt/4.1.1/src/gui'
    make[2]: *** [debug-all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/fullmetalcoder/qt/4.1.1/src/gui'
    make[1]: *** [sub-gui-make_default-ordered] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fullmetalcoder/qt/4.1.1/src'
    make: *** [sub-src-make_default-ordered] Error 2

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

It looks like there's some packages missing. Any ideas ???
    Try installing package called X11-devel or XFree86-devel or xorg-devel or whatever it's called in your distribution.