Thread: Destroy object

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Destroy object

Hi,
    i programming in qt already sometime and allway i am worried about memory leaks. So this is my question:
    In classic Qt programming i used to use something like:
    Qt Code:
    1. MyObject *object = new MyObject(this);
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    . Is this correct? Will object be delete automatic or i created memory leak?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Destroy object

It depends what "this" and "MyObject" are. If they are both descendants of QObject then there is no memory leak however object will not be deleted until "this" is deleted.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5 PyQt3 PyQt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

this is correct but to be sure about not having memory leak just delete objects whenever they are no longer needed

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

to be sure about not having memory leak just delete objects whenever they are no longer needed
    This is not correct! As Wysota said, if an object descends from QObject, and is created with another QObject class as its parent, then the parent, not the user, will almost always be responsible for deleting the object. If you manually delete a QObject that has a parent, the destructor will be sure to remove it from the parent's list of children, but nevertheless, this is not good Qt practice. Let QObject handle the child lifetimes, as it was designed to do and you won't get into trouble.

Ordinary C++ object instances (not derived from QObject) follow the normal C++ rules for creation and deletion, but QObject classes are different because of the parent-child relationship that is established when a QObject instance is created with a parent (or assigned one later).

The major exception to this Qt rule is in the Graphics / View architecture: A QGraphicsItem instance that is added to a QGraphicsScene but then later removed from it through a call to QGraphicsScene::removeItem() must be manually deleted. However, instances that are permanently added to the scene do not have to be deleted, because the scene is in charge of their lifetimes and they will be deleted when the scene instance is deleted.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by d_stranz View Post
    The major exception to this Qt rule is in the Graphics / View architecture: A QGraphicsItem instance that is added to a QGraphicsScene but then later removed from it through a call to QGraphicsScene::removeItem() must be manually deleted. However, instances that are permanently added to the scene do not have to be deleted, because the scene is in charge of their lifetimes and they will be deleted when the scene instance is deleted.
    This is really no exception. The same happens for Q{List,Table,Tree}WidgetItem instances and possibly everything else that loses its parentship (including QObject instances if you call setParent(0) on them).
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

6. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

d_stranz (4th January 2013)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

The same happens for Q{List,Table,Tree}WidgetItem instances
    Yes, true. I tend to overlook these cases. I guess I have rarely come across this in actual usage - most often this is hidden in the details of a model - view interaction, or, if I build a table manually, I just clear the former contents first then re-fill the whole thing. In my usage, QGraphicScene implementations tend to be more dynamic.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks That's what i need