Thread: SameGame QtQuick2 Demo App is Resource Hungry!?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default SameGame QtQuick2 Demo App is Resource Hungry!?

Hi all,

I'm evaluating whether we move some of our GUI over to QML/QtQuick2 when we move to Qt 5.0.0. As a part of this I built samegame (C:\Qt\qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0\qtdeclarative\examples\quick\demos\samegame - Obviously I'm on Windows).

Running it on my Dell M17x R2 (i7 X920 4 cores @ 2GHz) it takes 12-13% of my CPU (which is an entire hyperthreaded core) and 80% of my GPU (according to GPU-Z). It's not exactly doom3 graphics, so what's so terrible about it? It's doing this even on the menu screen!

In terms of a demonstration, this has really scared me. Is it that the samegame needs some tweaks (frame rate limiting?)? Maybe QtQuick2 needs some tweaks? We've tried it on 3 computers and it's been a bit of a hog on all 3. Building with MSVC2010 and with -opengl desktop configure flag.

Can anyone provide some explanation or guidance?

Regards,
    Simon
    PS. I haven't had a chance to look at whether it's just looping as fast as it can or anything like that - just throwing out the question to see if anyone else has noticed. Either way it's not the best demonstration for a new technology - Look at how resource hungry our new tech is!
    Last edited by gemmell; 23rd January 2013 at 00:17.