Thread: Need to set up a connection between my microcontroller and my Qt application (R/W)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Need to set up a connection between my microcontroller and my Qt application (R/W)

I am trying to make communication between my micro-controller and my Qt application...

what i want to do is to read the data sent in from the micro-controller(connected via USB cable) and to sent data back to it as well..

i understand i need to make a serial communication which is done through the RX & TX pins of the uC and there would be a converter which then gives the signal to the D+ & D- of the USB cable...

Pls correct me if i am wrong...

I did search some sites and found that i need "QtextSerialPort" library... but is this the same thing that i need even when i am using the USB cable..
    also if i need this library file... i dont know how to add them...

Please help me out in this one...its urgent...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Need to set up a connection between my microcontroller and my Qt application (R/W

Isn't there a forum for your uC where you can ask hardware-related questions? That has nothing to do with Qt.

That forum should also have information about serial port drivers. Almost certainly if your uC is a common one such as Arduino, there are drivers available for most operating systems. Get one, install it, and read the documentation on how your read and write to the driver. Someone may have already written a Qt app to do this.

This sounds a little bit like a homework problem to me, so if it is, don't expect that someone here (or on the uC forum) is going to give you detailed information on how to do this.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Need to set up a connection between my microcontroller and my Qt application (R/W

Isn't there a forum for your uC where you can ask hardware-related questions? That has nothing to do with Qt.

i have done my homework on the hardware part and i know how to sent and receive data from the uC but as u see that's not the part where i am having the trouble..
    I need to come up with a Qt application, so for that i am not familiar with the serial communication coding part of the Qt application...

And i tried to search the net for some help... but i was not much of a success in that..

Someone may have already written a Qt app to do this
    can anyone atleast show me to that... so that i may learn fron its source code...
    Pls help me start up with the serial communication coding in Qt Creator.. That's where i need the help and not the hardware part

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Ok, but what exactly is the question?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    Ok, but what exactly is the question?
    I want to write a Qt application from which i can communicate to my micro-controller...
    i want to read the data that the uC sends and to display it in the application
    Similarly i want to sent data to the uC..

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

So, it sounds like the steps you need to take are:

1 - Learn how to identify the serial port used by your device (QextSerialEnumerator)
    2 - Connect to the port (QextSerialPort:: open())
    3 - Read from it (using QIODevice)
    4 - Write to it (using QIODevice)

If you Google hard enough, you can find some source code for a Qt terminal emulator you might be able to adapt.

You can connect a slot to the QIODevice:: readyRead() signal, which will tell you when the device has bytes available to read. You can connect to other signals to tell you if writing was successful and when the device is being closed, etc.

7. The following user says thank you to d_stranz for this useful post:

alfie.max15 (22nd February 2013)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Will get back with this post after i work out that much of it... thank you for your help...