Thread: Encoding problem - QObject::tr doesn't translate sentences with accents

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Encoding problem - QObject::tr doesn't translate sentences with accents

Hello,

I'm using Qt 5.0.1 for my project. Every source code is written in French, and I want to translate it in English. With the prior version of Qt (4.x), I used to translate my program with no problems. But now with Qt 5, sentences with accents are not translated anymore.

I know Qt5 expects the source code to be written with UTF-8. Then I upgraded to Qt5, I changed the encoding of my files to UTF-8. So every header and source file is in UTF-8. I read on the Internet that one should add CODECFORTR = UTF-8 in their .pro file. Whether I do it or not, I still have the same issue.

Here is a piece of source code:

And here is how I see it in Qt Linguist:

We can notice that
    Qt Code:
    1. QAction *fSaveMass = file->addAction(tr("Enregistrer sous différentes teintes"));
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    has become in Qt Linguist
    Qt Code:
    1. QAction *fSaveMass = file->addAction(tr("Enregistrer sous différentes teintes"));
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    which means that Qt Linguist opens it thinking it's a latin encoding, while it's utf-8. But on the left and bottom side of Qt Linguist, it got the source code right: it's written "différentes" with the right encoding :s.

I think that's why my sentences with accents are not translated (the rest works fine). Does someone have any idea?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
    Sébastien.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Encoding problem - QObject::tr doesn't translate sentences with accents

Hello everyone!

I solved the problem. I post here in case someone has the issue. It seems to be a glitch of QtLinguist. The only thing I was doing wrong was to release the qm files with Qt Linguist. If I release them with lrelease.exe, then it works as expected, sentences with accents are translated !

So don't release with Qt Linguist...