Thread: Making Standalone Application

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows Android

Default Making Standalone Application

For my first application, I decided to make a calculator is Qt.(I downloaded qt yesterday).
    I want to know the process of making that exe into a standalone executable file.
    It RUNS fine, but after building, it shows many dlls are missing.
    I read about static library etc. but I didn't understand how to use it.
    also , I have not downloaded anything apart from the windows 32bit qt(666mb).
    thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Making Standalone Application

Do more reading on how to make a static build of qt. please be aware that binaries you build are practically* only useable for yourself - you are not allowed to distribute the apps you build like that to other people unless you pay for a commercial Qt license.

*there are caveats, but I don't think there is much point in bringing them up here.

Do you REALLY want to know how to make a single-file executable, or do you just want to know how to make an 'installable program'?
    If you have a problem, CUT and PASTE your code. Do not retype or simplify it. Give a COMPLETE and COMPILABLE example of your problem. Otherwise we are all guessing the problem from a fabrication where relevant details are often missing.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows Android

I read static qt.
    I didn't understand.

and yes, I want to know how to make a single file exe.
    (tell me what other ways are there to distribute too).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

The other, more usual way, is to distribute a dynamically linked application (bundled in an installer as needed). This is described on the same deployment page in the Qt docs as a static build. A dynamic build and deployment is all that is possible with the out-of-the-box Qt binaries anyway. IMHO it is also the easiest way to deploy a Qt application.

You can distribute a statically linked Qt application under the any of the Qt licences but you must meet the requirements of the licence you are using Qt under.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_slash View Post
    I read static qt.
    I didn't understand.

and yes, I want to know how to make a single file exe.
    (tell me what other ways are there to distribute too).
    please answer this question: Do you intend in distributing the program(s) you build into a single exe?
    If you have a problem, CUT and PASTE your code. Do not retype or simplify it. Give a COMPLETE and COMPILABLE example of your problem. Otherwise we are all guessing the problem from a fabrication where relevant details are often missing.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    please be aware that binaries you build are practically* only useable for yourself - you are not allowed to distribute the apps you build like that to other people unless you pay for a commercial Qt license
    Are you kidding? Why it is not possible to distribute a statically linked program that is licensed under (L)GPL for example?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

With static linking it is impossible with the GPL, and just impractical with the LGPL, if you want to keep your source code closed. If you are willing to distribute source for your program/library under the GPL or LGPL then there is no issue.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

It is best not to be distracted with the type of linking when considering licensing, none of the involved licenses make a distinction for that.

When using a library, any library, you are obligated to fullfil its license conditions. Unless these conditions contain explicit wording regarding to types of linking, they apply to all forms of incorporation, whether it is copying code into the application, dynamically or statically linking with a modified or unmodified library.

If we look at the licenses at hand, the primary focus of each license's condition is:
    - GPL: ensure unrestricted usage, ensure access to application sources
    - LGPL: ensure unrestricted usage, ensure modifyability of the LGPL part of the final software
    - commerical: ensure sustained income for development, limit code distribution requirements

Cheers,
    _

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

ensure modifyability of the LGPL part of the final software
    That is significantly more difficult with a single binary (static linking) if you don't want to disclose your own source, so I think it is worthwhile being 'distracted' by linking decisions and their impact.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    Do you REALLY want to know how to make a single-file executable, or do you just want to know how to make an 'installable program'?
    I know this properly don´t answer the raised question, but personally I prefer the 2nd option ( create a single .exe installer file ).
    This way, further maintenance, upgrade and error debugging due to different Windows version, becomes easiest.

I already used the INNO SETUP, a freeware amazing tool.

+++