Thread: QDomDocument.setContent -> .toString Double quotes change to single quotes

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default QDomDocument.setContent -> .toString Double quotes change to single quotes

Hi to all!

I see a strange behaviour when reading and writing XML-Files to and from an QDomDocument.
    What i do is:
    I read a given XML-File which starts with <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?> using the QDomDocument.setContent(QFile.....
    Then i do some modifications in the QDomDocument (not necessary to reproduce the behaviour)
    Last i write it out with Stream << QDomDocument.toString(2)

What i see is that the double quotes in the xml-Declaration (<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>) change in single quotes.

Anyone any idea where to look for the error?

Mick

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: QDomDocument.setContent -> .toString Double quotes change to single quotes

Why is that an error?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: QDomDocument.setContent -> .toString Double quotes change to single quotes

That's exactly what i asked myself yesterday ;-)
    A customer complained about the single quotes and in every example i found there are double quotes in the xml-declaration.
    But you are right. A validation of the xml file with the single qoutes gives no error.
    But why does the QDomDocument write such an unusual syntax?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Probably because it is programmed to work this way Both types of quotes are valid quotes in XML so unless you are working with a broken parser that does not accept sngle quotes, there is no need to worry.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

It would be an error if QDomDocument were changing quotes in element text or CDATA blocks.

I use QXmlStreamWriter quite a bit and it prefers double quotes. Variety is the spice of life.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Ok, we all agree now that it's no error :-)
    If i can't convince our customer that it's ok how it is, i wil take a look at QXmlStreamWriter.
    Thanks for your help!

Mick

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Or you just change the returned string, the processing instruction is the first use of quotes, right?

Cheers,
    _

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Yes, that would be an option. And it's easy to do. If it's the only exception to handle it would be ok.
    Alway when i think of those solutions i feel a kind of dislike. But sometimes one has to accept it ;-)
    Thanks for the hint.