Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: LGPL for specific platforms only

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dortmund, Germany
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows Android

    Question LGPL for specific platforms only

    Hi,
    I want to make my project open source and put it under LGPL - but only for desktop systems (Windows, Linux, MacOs). The use of its source code on mobile platforms (Android, iOs) shall be forbidden for others. I do have plans to change this restriction in the future, but I want to reach a certain point of break-even with my investments first.

    1. Is it sensibly possible to restrict the LGPL to explicitly named operation systems / platforms?
    2. Will I as the original author and probably main contributor of the code still have the right to publish an Android/iOs app based on the code and earn money that way?
    3. In case you don't know an answer: do you have any idea where I can get good advice on this?


    This is the first time I step into the world of licensing questions - I am absolutely inexperienced in these things. I have not found any example on platform-specific OS-licenses yet, that makes me wonder if I might have completely misunderstood some basic concept.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Graz, Austria
    Posts
    8,419
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

    Default Re: LGPL for specific platforms only

    Quote Originally Posted by sedi View Post
    I want to make my project open source and put it under LGPL - but only for desktop systems (Windows, Linux, MacOs). The use of its source code on mobile platforms (Android, iOs) shall be forbidden for others.
    That would not be the LGPL anymore then.
    The copyleft licenses created by the Free Software Foundation explicitly grant the right to use the software for any purpose.

    Quote Originally Posted by sedi View Post
    Is it sensibly possible to restrict the LGPL to explicitly named operation systems / platforms?
    Not with the LGPL as such.
    You could have your own license or separate platform integration code into plugins and not release those for the platforms you don't want to.

    Quote Originally Posted by sedi View Post
    Will I as the original author and probably main contributor of the code still have the right to publish an Android/iOs app based on the code and earn money that way?
    As the original author you can always do what you want unless you've explicitly transferred those rights to someone else.
    But that is kind of unrelated to the second part of the sentence, which is solely a matter of the software's license condition and that of the respective store.

    Quote Originally Posted by sedi View Post
    n case you don't know an answer: do you have any idea where I can get good advice on this?
    As with all legal things, only a lawyer with respective know-how on the subject can give any definite answer.

    Cheers,
    _

  3. The following user says thank you to anda_skoa for this useful post:

    sedi (27th July 2014)

Similar Threads

  1. SetWindowIcon on several different platforms
    By knightspace in forum Qt Programming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th April 2014, 17:31
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14th February 2011, 15:06
  3. Multiple platforms
    By ctote in forum Qt Programming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15th February 2010, 20:48
  4. What platforms are you using Qt on?
    By gfunk in forum Qt Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 8th February 2007, 16:47
  5. Compiling on different platforms
    By Tori in forum Newbie
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th January 2006, 23:09

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Digia, Qt and their respective logos are trademarks of Digia Plc in Finland and/or other countries worldwide.